appeal query

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
bungeeful

appeal query

Post by bungeeful »

Hi, we have been given our appeal date for this wednesday & I wanted to know what sort of questions to ask the panel, do they expect it? I'd appreciate any kind of feedback on this, thankyou
Etienne

Re: appeal query

Post by Etienne »

No, you don't normally put questions to the panel.

You might wish to put a question to the representative of the admission authority if there's something in the school's case you want to query.

The usual order of business is:
• a. the case for the admission authority;
• b. questioning by the appellants and panel;
• c. the case for the appellants;
• d. questioning by the admission authority and panel;
• e. summing up by the admission authority; and
• f. summing up by the appellants.
Etienne
bungeeful

Post by bungeeful »

Thanks for that, I only asked as the letter we received suggested we could ask questions towards the end of the proceedings. Just wanted to clarify what sort of thing they expected
capers123

Post by capers123 »

Two questions I wouldn't mind being asked by parents:

1) Is it OK if I assume that you've read everything, as all I need to say are in the documents supplied and you might like to get home early?

2) What are your bank account numbers, as we wish to make a large anonymous donation to panel members to compensate them for their time? (preferably asked well before the appeal, to make sure the donations were in place before we make decisions).

Sadly, to date, I've been asked neither.

8)
Capers
T12ACY

Post by T12ACY »

capers123 wrote:Two questions I wouldn't mind being asked by parents:

1) Is it OK if I assume that you've read everything, as all I need to say are in the documents supplied and you might like to get home early?

2) What are your bank account numbers, as we wish to make a large anonymous donation to panel members to compensate them for their time? (preferably asked well before the appeal, to make sure the donations were in place before we make decisions).

Sadly, to date, I've been asked neither.

8)
I began to read that with total focus and a 'must ask these questions' attitude.... not sure that I should in fact ask these questions! :?
Money can't buy you happiness, but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.
bungeeful

Our Appeal

Post by bungeeful »

My Nephew's appeal took place this morning & I'd like to share Our experience with others going thru a similar ordeal. I'd like to be able to write it was a balanced affair, however things swayed more one way than the other less than 10 minutes after arrival when a sheet was thrust into my sister-in-laws hand curtly stating more or less that her son didn't make the grade etc etc. Was it worth continuing? This was before any meeting with the panel. At this point she was left wondering whether it was worth staying for the proceedings. Anyway not to be intimidated they decided to sit it out (not sure if I would've done) & were introduced to the panel of five including the GS Head.
Basically our argument was that my nephew fell just short of the pass mark due to mitigating circumstances (in our case my brother's on going battle with a serious illness that has disrupted much of my nephew's young life). He has coped with these unfortunate circumstances with a maturity beyond the age of Eleven whilst still getting good grades at school & this was put to the panel.
Our case was not overstated, one side of A4 for each panel member to read & digest. One panel member asked "......This looks rather long could you please briefly explain your case?" The case was explained even more succinctly for her benefit & other panel members glanced at their sheets with moderate interest. (I understand they must see loads of these). On a lighter note one of the panel commented that our case had been well structured & presented. He was also impressed by some evidence to illustrate Nephew's ability at Primary School.
I've written this post not to put people off but to be prepared for anything, positive, negative & indifferent. We don't expect the outcome we want & came away thinking was it worth it but we did it because he's worth it! :D
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

Thank you so much for sharing your experience - i wish your family lots of luck with the outcome. At the top of the appeals section their is a sticky named feedback - it would be very helpful if you could copy this in there so it can be read with all other appeals - i think it may get lost in the future here. :shock:
bungeeful

Post by bungeeful »

Thankyou for your reply, I've now posted a copy in the sticky section to share with others & I hope more people do the same after their appeals good, bad & indifferent :wink:
capers123

Re: Our Appeal

Post by capers123 »

bungeeful wrote:My Nephew's appeal took place this morning & I'd like to share Our experience with others going thru a similar ordeal. I'd like to be able to write it was a balanced affair, however things swayed more one way than the other less than 10 minutes after arrival when a sheet was thrust into my sister-in-laws hand curtly stating more or less that her son didn't make the grade etc etc.
That sounds like the school case to me - you should have received that in with all the docs from the clerk. Of course, the school side is just that - your child (nephew) didn't pass, and to take more children would prejudice the good education of others. Your side of the argument is opposite to that, and the panel is in the middle.
Was it worth continuing? This was before any meeting with the panel. At this point she was left wondering whether it was worth staying for the proceedings. Anyway not to be intimidated they decided to sit it out (not sure if I would've done) & were introduced to the panel of five including the GS Head.
That's against the rules. The Head must not be on the panel.

Are you sure that the panel had five people on it? There may well have been 5 people in the room - 3 panel members, the clerk (also independent) and the Head who was presenting the schools side. The head (or anyone else who is not the clerk or panel) must not be in the room with the panel without you being there - ie they must enter and leave the room at the same time as you.
Basically our argument was that my nephew fell just short of the pass mark due to mitigating circumstances (in our case my brother's on going battle with a serious illness that has disrupted much of my nephew's young life). He has coped with these unfortunate circumstances with a maturity beyond the age of Eleven whilst still getting good grades at school & this was put to the panel.
Without having been there and hearing the evidence from both sides, I can't say if that would have been a strong enough case. It would depend on the severity of the illness, and then vs. the school case.
Our case was not overstated, one side of A4 for each panel member to read & digest. One panel member asked "......This looks rather long could you please briefly explain your case?" The case was explained even more succinctly for her benefit & other panel members glanced at their sheets with moderate interest. (I understand they must see loads of these). On a lighter note one of the panel commented that our case had been well structured & presented. He was also impressed by some evidence to illustrate Nephew's ability at Primary School.
I've written this post not to put people off but to be prepared for anything, positive, negative & indifferent. We don't expect the outcome we want & came away thinking was it worth it but we did it because he's worth it! :D
Did the panel not have all your documentation, along with the schools documentation before the appeal? They should have received it a week or so before hand, unless the appeal was put in at the last minute. Most appeals have far more paperwork than one side of A4. However, you may have taken an A4 sheet to summarise the appeal.
Capers
isymum

Post by isymum »

I had an appeal for my DS last Thursday, and one yesterday. The one I had last Thursday the panel seemed very relaxed and open to questions being asked and give me every opportunity to express my argument. I had submitted evidence from my DS school on his academic levels, which clearly showed he was well above the average, in fact achieving better grades that another child who had secured a place at a grammar school. I was consistent in the questions being asked to me. I raised the point that my son has not had tutoring as this was strongly not encouraged, yet gained good marks, they should consider that as those who have had tutoring are tailored for these tests, and pass, and when they have got through there have been cases where children have had to be pulled out as they cannot cope with the pressure. My DS could as this clearly shows. Another point I raised even though he has 2 scholarships from two indenpendent schools, why should I pay for this education when he can get the same education from a highly prestigious just the same as in a grammar school. the panel noted all this and said they will get back within the week, It has now been a week, and we have not heard anything.

The appeal I had yesterday, I felt however, was a little different. I felt rushed a little, and did not have enough time to get my argument across. I had support from my HT from my DS school who also argued a good case. But we don't know. I also had a telephone call to the school from my local councillor supporting us, and presented them with a written letter. I did not have this last week. I am so dreading tomorrow.