Whale hunting ban - the final vote

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Amber

Whale hunting ban - the final vote

Post by Amber »

I am not sure if the moderators will let me do this, but if you are reading this they obviously did! In one week, the International Whaling Commission will hold its final vote on a proposal to legalise commercial whale hunting for the first time in a generation.

There are only around 50 individuals left of some species.

If you believe that the IWC should continue to ban commercial whaling, please go to the online petition organised by Avaaz, the international lobbying group, and add to the 650 000 signatures already there.

https://secure.avaaz.org/en/whales_last ... 443&v=6634

Thanks,
Amber x
Milla

Re: Whale hunting ban - the final vote

Post by Milla »

done and done. Whaling despicable. Up there (or down there) with seal cub clubbing. Dare one enthuse rather crassly that whales rock? Hey, apparently even their defecation offsets their carbon tail print.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Signed.

Can whales really leave a carbon print? :?
BB248

Post by BB248 »

Thanks for alerting us Amber. Duly signed.
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

Hate anything to do with whaling, signed , and thank you Amber :D
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Well, I Googled it and whales can offset their footprint in the way described, but nowhere can I find anything which tells me how they get a carbon footprint in the first place. I'd be REALLY interested in finding this out if anyone knows?
andyb

Post by andyb »

Snowdrops wrote:Well, I Googled it and whales can offset their footprint in the way described, but nowhere can I find anything which tells me how they get a carbon footprint in the first place. I'd be REALLY interested in finding this out if anyone knows?
At the risk of lowering the tone I would imagine a mammal that size generates quite a lot of gas :wink:
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

Just like cows :D
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Yes, I know what you're saying. But to me, I don't see how any animal in the world can have a carbon footprint. Surely the world is a natural place and each animal (for animal read insect, fish, human being etc) is finely balanced in and with nature and, as long as the animal is doing what was intended for it (ie: humans not driving cars/oil/flying) there wouldn't be a footprint.

To me, whales and cows are natural 'elements' of the world and therefore what they 'do' couldn't be construed as damaging the earth.

Sometimes I think I just don't understand what people are trying to prove with all this. Cars, aeroplanes, plastic bags, washing powders, bleaches and dyes yes, I understand. But natural things? It's like pc gone mad all over again :(
Milla

Post by Milla »

hear hear. :D