Practice papers 80 & 90 % target

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
dani*

Practice papers 80 & 90 % target

Post by dani* »

I have often read that it would be advisable to achieve around 80% in practice papers and that some Indies even aim for 90%. I would like to find out which practice papers are referred to. I only have NFER test papers, but have used other practice papers in the past as well as the tutors cd's.

Thank you.
Tracy

Re: Practice papers 80 & 90 % target

Post by Tracy »

Hi Dani, nfers are now easier than the real thing in Bexley, and in the actual tests last year 80% was a one mark FAIL.
I would suggest at least 90 % on nfers and then move on to Susan Daughtrey - harder but still of the Bexley style. Aim for at least 85% on these papers to be sure. Bexley Council is anticpating even more oocs than last year and inevitably the pass mark will rise again.
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

Within reason, I wouldn't be quite so prescriptive about marks in test papers.

All three of my children passed the Bexley test - with widely differing marks. My youngest had a default mark of 84% in the Nfer maths papers and marks ranging from mid 79s to mid 90s in the Nfer VR and Susan Daughtrey papers. He was a top scorer in the Bexley test (last year) and scored 138/140 for maths and 140/140 for VR in the Kent test. My middle child did similarly well in practice tests but only passed the 11+ by a few marks (2 years ago). My eldest had practice paper results ranging from 64% to 88% on Nfer maths and VR yet passed by a very comfortable margin.

Test paper results are a guide, but please don't think if your child isn't hitting 80-90% on them all that they won't pass. Sometimes clever children don't put much effort into practice papers. When my eldest sat the Bexley test he could dash off a practice paper in 20 mins and score 50%. In one of my more exasperated moments he turned to me and said, "but it's only practice, I'll put more effort in when it's the real thing". Sometimes clever children panic in the real thing, or, if they haven't had much practice, don't know how to pace themselves. I've known really bright children focus on getting things right to the detriment of getting through as many questions as possible. Not much good getting 100% on the first half of a paper, but not having time to do the second half!

You need to use practice paper marks, SATs levels, teacher's comments and what you know about your child indicators of how they might perform and nothing more.
greenwichmum

Post by greenwichmum »

Tracey that is not quite correct. Indeed if you work out the pass mark in points and then work it out as a percentage then it is above 80%. However, you need to remember that the pass mark is standardised to the children who took the test, therefore if the test is difficult then you may not need to get a high persentage to pass. When I got my daughters raw scores she actually only got about 68% (approx, I don't have the email any more which tells me) in the maths paper which equated to a point score of 109, this works out as 78% of 140, the total marks. Therefore as Bexley mum 2 says what you score in practice papers is not indicative of whether or not you will pass the Bexley test. Practice papers are useful in terms of practising the types of questions and timing, but that's about it in my view.
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

Hi greenwichmum, I was referring to a combined score rather than individual papers.
And, having been involved in this year's appeal cases, I can state that 80% equated to a 1 mark fail for some kids.
littlemissfavored

Post by littlemissfavored »

Tracy wrote:Hi Dani, nfers are now easier than the real thing in Bexley, and in the actual tests last year 80% was a one mark FAIL.
I would suggest at least 90 % on nfers and then move on to Susan Daughtrey - harder but still of the Bexley style. Aim for at least 85% on these papers to be sure. Bexley Council is anticpating even more oocs than last year and inevitably the pass mark will rise again.

Please correct me if I am wrong, I believe Susan Daughtrey is for VR. Whats the harder equivalent for Maths? I have been using Nfer so far.
Thanks.
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

littlemissfavored wrote:Whats the harder equivalent for Maths?
Bond papers
Impossible is Nothing.
littlemissfavored

Post by littlemissfavored »

sherry_d wrote:
littlemissfavored wrote:Whats the harder equivalent for Maths?
Bond papers
Thanks for your reply, What Bond are you refering to please?

We are using Bond- Fourth Papers but I seem to think the Nfer is quite harder than this.
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

No not Bond Forth papers. I really dont like the forth papers. They seem to go and on forever.

They have actual Bond papers, which are 4 in a pack

These ones here http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/books/ ... %3D6%23b75
Impossible is Nothing.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now