Topics in the Exam

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Elle

Topics in the Exam

Post by Elle »

For a while now, I've been wanting to tutor my little sister in order to prepare her for the 11 Plus entry exam; but no matter how hard I look, I cannot seem to find a curriculam of the topics covered in the entrance exam anywhere!

Does anybody know where I can find a simple list stating specific topics that are covered within the general subjects of English, Maths and Non Verbal Reasoning?
It doesn't have to be too complicated, things as simple as 'multiplying fractions, BODMAS, etc' would be wonderful.

Thanks for your help :)
shinealight

Re: Topics in the Exam

Post by shinealight »

Hi Elle

From my personal experience I would recommend just purchasing a set of tests from somewhere like WHSmiths or Waterstones as all schools will tell you not to tutor the students but read a lot of different texts of different genre practice maths problems, complete puzzled such as crosswords play scrabble and other word puzzle games do sudoko type puzzles etc etc.

I've been DIYing my DS since last year and have found just doing lots of different activities has boosted his confidence as well as practice papers. There is no curriculum for the 11+ as students who go for this exam will have covered most of the stuff at KS2 that is except for the NVR that doesn't really come into KS2. for this you can purchase a variety of puzzles books and practice papers to help. I've found the Bonds series very good and their website which someone recommended to me.

hope this helps :)

Shinealight
Shinealight
Always looking on the bright side of life..!
Elle

Post by Elle »

Shine a light,,

You've been a wonderful help, thank you very much :)

Warmest Wishes,,
marigold

Post by marigold »

Hi Elle,

If you are in Essex I do not think there is a definitive list of exactly what is examined by the 11plus exam

The exam consists of maths ( 25% ) English (25% ) and verbal reasoning 50 %. There is no non verbal reasoning in Essex.

If you look at the KEGS website it suggests that the maths will be based on subjects covered by KeyStage 2. I thing this a bit disingenuous and think it is actually at a higher level. The English paper is a comprehension based usually on a classic, eg Jane Eyre, Bleak House, Far From the Madding Crowd.

I believe the Verbal Reasoning takes examples from all 21 types.

To start I would recommend contacting the CSSE in Chelmsford( tel 01245 348257 ) who can provide you with past English and Maths papers and VR papers of a similar level to the exam. Then you can see exactly what level is required and tailor your practice accordingly.
There is a wealth of information on the Essex section of this forum and lots of people who can give help and advice so do not hesitate to ask.

Good Luck.
First-timer

Post by First-timer »

Hi,

You've posted on the Essex forum so I'm assuming you're going for the Essex GS 11+ exam. We have English, Maths and VR. We don't have NVR so don't waste your time doing this. Caveat to this is if you are considering the Redbridge schools, in which case have a look at the Essex Redbridge forum.

The Maths and English papers go beyond what will have been covered in school at the time of sitting the exam. The best way to get an idea of what is required is to buy the past papers from http://www.csse.org.uk . English is usually a nineteenth century text (eg Hardy, Dickens etc) used as the basis for comprehension, vocabulary and punctuation questions. Maths has a fairly wide range of questions. Look at past papers and use practice books such as the Bond books to make sure you've covered all bases.

Finally, have a good look through this forum - it has loads of tips and info that are really invaluable to the diy brigade. I found it to be the only comprehensive source of information on a topic that is often kept hush-hush in the playground.
moved

Post by moved »

Hi Elle, not sure if you have looked at the top of the Essex forum. A brief list of topics covered is listed and a brief description of the 11+.

Bond Assessment papers are a good place to start - more level 5 papers for maths by the end should be about right. English papers in the level 6 books are fairly appropriate, but you do not need the grammar exercises. The "Tutors papers" and their free advice sheets are very helpful and available form this site.

The entry mark varies between the areas. Southend schools are easier to access than the other Essex consortium schools, particularly if you live in the Borough of Southend.

Good luck.