southend boys v's Ilford county

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
tammy

southend boys v's Ilford county

Post by tammy »

hi,
just received the good news that our son got an out of catchment place to southend boys.This was placed third on our list.
When we visited the school we all loved it and said chd wanted to start straight away.
However due to distance we placed it lower in ranking.
our chd is also in high borderzone for local grammer school ilford county and headteacher confident will be offered place within a week.KEGS was our second placed school. he didnt score high enough to secure a place.hence shbs.
the dilemma we face now is that chd now wants to accept Ilford place if it becomes avaible as most to his friends got through its'local etc.. so now even though he's won a grammer school place at shsb which we actuallyv believe is the better school, the travel is very straight forward etc..
Seeing my child so distressed seems more distressing than the 11+
please any advice would be appreciated.

ALSO does anyone know how many out of catchment places are offered at shbs ?
sw

Post by sw »

Hi Tammy ,
Congratulations to your son and you.Hope your son gets Ilford County too.
My son also did Ilford County and KEGS.We had good news yesterday about Ilford County.
We are still awaiting KEGS results.When I telephoned the consortium yesterday they advised me the KEGS results are being posted on 05.03.07,and I should hopefully receive letter by Tuesday.
I am a little confused, as I also live in Redbridge and don't have the KEGS results.Can you please advise how you managed to find out the KEGS results.
Shrimpergarry

Post by Shrimpergarry »

Hi Tammy

Congratulations - a nice dilemma to have!

We have been offerred an out of catchment place at SHSB too, it was our 2nd choice behind KEGS. We had KEGS first as we live in Chelmsford, but our son fell in love with SHSB too so we're all delighted he got in.

SHSB reserve 25 places (out of 150) for out of catchment boys. However in recent years there have not been enough local boys to take up all the in catchment places and therefore additional out of catchment places have been offered - I think in September 2006 there were 46 boys.

To answer SW presumably Tammy knows she hasn't got KEGS because she's been offered SHSB - that's how it works, they work down your preference list until they find one that you meet the criteria for.

The results sent out on Monday are from CSSE and will give your son's score in the exams, the standardised score and where he came in relation to other applicants for all the schools applied for.
tammy

Post by tammy »

thanks for the replies it will be interesting to see the actual scores when the csse issue them.
the boys must have done pretty well to get out of catchment shsb!!!! :lol: