Presents for teachers

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
KS10

Presents for teachers

Post by KS10 »

Ok, it's that time of year again and for a lot of us it's the final one. What do we buy for the teachers? I do love hunting around for small / sensible gifts, but this year I don't have any ideas plus I'm a bit short of time. Please share your ideas.
inkypinkyponky

Re: Presents for teachers

Post by inkypinkyponky »

Is the prezzie for a male or female teacher?

I used to buy chocs or flowers for female teachers until we moved next to my neighbour, an infants school teacher, who, the day school broke up, would turn up on my doorstep with about 15 bouquets of flowers. She did love receiving them, but she, along with many teachers actually go on their summer holidays as soon as school breaks up and the flowers would die in her house. Hence lovely flowers in my house :D . She did love chocs too but as a larger lady, was always trying to diet and receiving chocs didn't help.

Having asked her advice, I now buy female teachers a bracelet from somewhere like M&S or BHS for about £5+ and present it in a little glittery bag from a local fairy/insence shop for 75p. Also well liked is a nail varnish, not 50p from Primark, but Bourjois/Nails Inc etc.

Male teachers are harder to buy for! Have only had one to buy for and he ended up with about 20 bottles of wine from my daughters class. One child had given wine glasses and my daughter gave him wine charms. These are little wires that fit around the stems of wine glasses and are usually sold in sixes, all different designs and colours. Type 'wine charms' in ebay and you will see lots.

Happy shopping!

BTW, for Christmas I again steer clear of chocs but buy one Christmas tree decoration/bauble for the teacher's tree. If they don't like it, they can always pass it on!
twellsmum

Post by twellsmum »

I have found that (female) teachers love stationery so I usually get them Phoenix postcards or notepaper and something small and smelly like one of those posh bath bombs. Male teachers I am afraid I tend to err on teh side of caution and buy a bottle of wine! Am enjoying the prospect of only having to buy three presents this year instead of about ten as DD1 is now at secondary and DS2 is in reception whereas before he was at nursery so had to get presents for all the teachers/helpers (and last year my three eldest all had job share teachers!)
KS10

Post by KS10 »

IPP,
This time it's for a female, but there are a couple of male teachers so I can save those ideas for later on.
A bracelet sounds good - haven't done that. I like the Christmas bauble idea too. Shame it's not Christmas!
TM,
Thanks for the stationery idea. I'd forgotten about the TAs. Tbh, I usually get them similar things because I don't want the TAs to feel undervalued and I also tend not to have too many ideas. Will look into Phoenix stationery - not sure I've seen this.
zvrk

Post by zvrk »

We always get wine (female teachers).
chicko-mum

Post by chicko-mum »

DD is 'crafty', (as in messy activites but can also be the devious sort when she wants :lol:). In the past we have bought cheap mugs/clear vases/dishes from M&S, IKEA etc and then she spends ages decorating them using glass or ceramic paints. Not sure whether the teachers used the mugs, but have seen the vases in action. :D
Doesn't work as well with DS though, painting not his thing and the end result is not very artistic! :shock:
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

In my DS class, a parent organised a collection and then got Next vouchers.
Amber

Post by Amber »

As a parent, I send home made jam/pickles and eggs from the chickens (they were good at Easter, anyway!), and occasionally Molton Brown shower gel if they were really good teachers. Last year one teacher came back and asked if she could buy more jam off me, so that was a compliment.

As a teacher - well, champagne is always acceptable.
Ally

Post by Ally »

I've also done the Christmas decoration, which has worked well. One that was very well received was couple of summers ago was a terracotta pot planted with a fuchsia, summer bedding plants or herbs would work just as well. It means you can get a cheap pot and then spend as little or as much as you like on the plants. It's best if it's planted up at least a week or so in advance. Also it means that DC's can be involved in planting.

I looking for idea's that have a science or book theme this year. Has anyone got any idea's ?
rubyhettybetty

Post by rubyhettybetty »

Definitely avoid chocs etc. I have done home made jam before, hmmm pink fizzy wine is popular with the lady teachers, this year I'm sure I bought a load of Bridgewater notepads and pens in the Boots 75% off sale :-] Also candles?

I have always thought about doing those Oxfam Unwrapped pressies, or an Amazon voucher ...
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now