Just a thought .....

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Looking for help

Just a thought .....

Post by Looking for help »

I just had to post tonight, I am not looking for anyone to repond, I just wanted to post something to explain how I feel at the end of year 7 at our comprehensive after our failed appeal.

I will be the first to admit that I have taken my son's poor score in his 11+ and subsequent awful appeal and result really badly. I have been haunted by the whole process for about 18 months now. I thought he'd walk the test, everything about him suggests he should have walked it, and he didn't. It was an awful time, and still today I am beating myself up on a daily basis over it.

However I have just been to his year 7 parent's evening tonight. I was absolutely gobsmacked. On 7 different occasions various teachers told me he was gifted, I am told he is expected to get 10 As in GCSE and these teachers will push him all the way, they will not leave him be and will stretch him and stretch him, so that he is never bored, and that they expect tremendous things from him. I saw him finally straighten himself up, and take a little look at himself, and realise that actually, what his mum has been saying all along IS true, he is a smart boy.

I just wanted to share this with people on here as there have been a few cases recently where people haven't had the result they wanted. I have been very sceptical of the school my son is going to, I know it is not a failing school, but it was never going to be the school his siblings are at, and for that reason alone, I have been unhappy for so long. However tonight, I am a changed person, and I think I may have finally accepted the past 18 months, and may possibly be able to move on at last. He IS the star I knew he was, and well if he gets half the As they predict he might he will have done as well as his siblings at grammar, so fair enough :D I think that for you guys who've had a rotten time, it may take ages, but you know your child and what s/he is capable of, and I am sure the experience I have just had will be repeated for you too.

Hope this helps someone out there feeling sad.

LFH
Etienne

Re: Just a thought .....

Post by Etienne »

Thanks for sharing that, LFH.

I for one thought the process you went through flawed. It's great to have such good news.
Etienne
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

What a lovely post LFH - so glad you found peace at least.

Good on your son for showing them all what he was made of!
ourmaminhavana

Post by ourmaminhavana »

What a heartwarming post LFH. I'm so pleased that your son has found his level and that you can now let go and know he'll fulfill his potential wherever he is. It sounds like a momentous realisation :)
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

Thanks everyone, yes it has been a bit of a moment for me tonight, and sadly his dad was away abroad and couldn't be here, but really I was just trying to convey the fact that when life seems to be really rubbish, time passes and it's not always as bad as it seems. We've had grade sheets and they've been good, but we haven't been told face to face before that he is really settled and achieving, but what impressed me so much was the enthusiasm of the staff and their determination that our children should achieve their potential. What more can anyone ask for really, I just wanted those who are at a low ebb to understand that you may not get what you wish for but what you get might not be that bad :D
Mum007

Post by Mum007 »

LFH,
I am so pleased that you posted this. Many congratulations indeed to your son. I hope that you have given encouragement to others who visit this forum. Although I hardly ever post, I visit almost daily and follow people's stories avidly. Your story tonight brought a tear to my eye and I just felt compelled to reply. Time to move onwards and upwards. He WILL achieve great things and that is good to know.

We too are reaching the end of Year 7 after our DS 'failed' his 11+. Our own pathway was different to that which I had imagined for him, but he too has had a rich and rewarding experience.

Thank you for your inspirational post. Best wishes. x
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Good to hear your news too, Mum007.
Etienne
panicattack!

Post by panicattack! »

Well now I have wiped my tears away and I want to say a HUGE thank you , both of your posts have really moved me and help to put perspective in what is a terrible time now but not necessarily in the future. Thank you so much and I am really pleased to hear that both of your children are doing so well in the places you didn't think they would be in. You must be very proud of them.

An idea for Etienne maybe this thread or the original messages could be put in the feedback section so people in the future will realise that there can be positives out of a negative situation. :)
twinkles

Post by twinkles »

Thank you so much for posting LFH.

I am going through the whole process of trying to accept that my son didn't pass the 11+ when he was expected to and has to go to the local comp where I feel he won't achieve his potential.

I hope that my son is stretched like your son has been and my biggest fear that he will become bored and disillusioned will not come true. I really hope that my son is as successful at his comp as your son is at his, and that he is lucky enough to have teachers that are aware of how bright he is and help him reach his goals like you son has.

You must be sooo proud of him.

So pleased for your son too Mum007.
WorriedRuby

Post by WorriedRuby »

Thanks for posting LFH. I am very happy for you and your son.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now