Never mind the football, what about that tennis match !

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Looking for help

Never mind the football, what about that tennis match !

Post by Looking for help »

Whta an amazing display 59 all in the final set.
I take my hat off to the incredible level of fitness these men must have reached, although bless the American, he seemed very tired, and yet still able to serve amazingly well. I don't envy them tomorrow, having to come back and start again :o

I couldn't pick a winner , fabulous :D
hermanmunster

Re: Never mind the football, what about that tennis match !

Post by hermanmunster »

It is unbelievable - I went out at 7 to a meeting assuming the match would be all over and it went on for ages longer. I gather the last set is over 6 hours now - longer than the previous longest ever match .

The Passarell / Gonsalez match of black and white distant memory was a mere 5 hrs 12 mins..... but led to the introduction of the tie break.
Looking for help

You pre-date me Herman :lol: , I had to google, but yes, I got told at 5.45 to watch, but had to go out at 6 pm, returned at 7 and remained almost glued for the next 2 and a bit hours, it is really amazing how they kept on going ....and going.....and going, hopefully it wont end really quickly tomorrow, that would be a shame :(
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

What tennis match ........................ what football?? :o :lol: :lol:
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

They'll probably both oversleep. :lol:
Marylou
Looking for help

Marylou wrote:They'll probably both oversleep. :lol:
Can you imagine ??

Snowdrops do you live on planet Clanger :lol:
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

No, I just don't like sport.

I watched Wimbledon back in the, erm, '70's :oops: :oops: when Borg (swoon) and Nastasie (double swoon) used to play. I always felt 'entertained' when McEnroe played too. But I just feel there aren't the characters around that there used to be. I dunno, maybe I'm getting old :shock: :lol:
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

It was a remarkable display, but it got a bit tedious towards the end, and you won't often hear me say that about a tennis match! Apart from the last game the pattern was pretty well the same for every game. Mahut generally dropped one point each game, and very occasionally Isner dropped two. Whenever he did he just stood on the service line and fired off a couple of aces. The commentators kept talking about the players (particularly Isner) being on auto-pilot, and it did feel that way.

I only kept watching because it was such a historic match - I was glued to the game numbers ticking round!

It felt very strange though, because I was watching the match yesterday evening, and here I was again, still watching the same match for the whole of this evening. Truly Groundhog Day!
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Snowdrops wrote:No, I just don't like sport.

I watched Wimbledon back in the, erm, '70's :oops: :oops: when Borg (swoon) and Nastasie (double swoon) used to play. I always felt 'entertained' when McEnroe played too. But I just feel there aren't the characters around that there used to be. I dunno, maybe I'm getting old :shock: :lol:

think they are better behaved today - nastase, connors, mcenroe etc etc were great to watch but oh the paddies!
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

Superb match!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now