Academies!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Shaftsbury1

Academies!

Post by Shaftsbury1 »

Hello everyone,

Just spotted a link on the everything else forum with a list of schools interested in becoming academies.

The Tiffin schools,Wilsons and Sutton's names are on it :shock: !

Could someone please enlighten me as to what this means?

Will it mean more money or more independence?

Not feeling comfortable,since the Grammar school association has advised against it.
mitasol

Re: Academies!

Post by mitasol »

It should mean more money, greater autonomy with the national curriculum and potentially less bureaucracy but the devil is in the details. I'm sure non of the schools will sign up until they are satisfied the change will be in their best interest. :?

The GSHA and NGSA have differing opinions on academy status.
WP wrote:The Grammar Schools Heads Association is more keen (noting the similarity to grant maintained status):
http://www.gsha.org.uk/GSHA/Acad.html
At this stage the list is just an expression of interest until all the fine details are thrashed out.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I'm not so sure about more money.... all depts (bar heath) are going to have 25% less to spend including education.....

Maybe the first line will be ... so you can be an academy and spend your money how you wish .... but there will only be 75% of the money you had before...
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

I'm not so sure about more money....
Yes, I'm sure you're right but they will get more of the allocated money that the LEA currently spends on their behalf.
Shaftsbury1

Post by Shaftsbury1 »

There has to be a price for all that freedom?

I hope the Grammars wait before jumping in.

I always thought academies were allowed private investment,that was why they were different and had better finances?
lambbone

Post by lambbone »

It's my understanding that schools have to register as "interested" in order to obtain any information about the process. So very early days. I can see that any school might want to receive the blurb about it.