Boys Trousers

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Ally

Boys Trousers

Post by Ally »

Hi

Hope someone can help. My DS is who is youngest in the year is tall and very slim.
I'm getting fed up with adjustable waist trousers. Would love him to start Y7 in trousers that fit and are comfortable. Just measured a pair on his current school trousers, the waist is pulled in to the max - 20inches and inside leg of 27inches, but they're to short. M&S do a longer/short length trousers, but the waist is still very large and they have adjustable waists I've just called on the largest school outfitters in the area they do waist/leg length trousers, but start at 25inch waist.

Thanks Ally
Amber

Re: Boys Trousers

Post by Amber »

I recommend a high-fat, high-calorie diet and no exercise between now and September.

If he were a girl, you would find everything in 'skinny cut' - ie the waist and hip measurement of a 2-year old. Get him some girls' trousers, maybe?

Sorry, not very helpful, but then unless you have the money to visit a bespoke tailor, I can't really think of anything better.
jingle

Post by jingle »

I also would be interested in this as have yet to find a solution other than a belt!
TIDDLYMUM

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

Slim fit m and s? or long length m and s in a younger age

sadly i have the opposite problem! i am now trying my ninth pair, i am thoroghly fed up of it!!!!.
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

You should be able to buy trousers by waist and length fitting. I would have thought that any good school uniform supplier would either have them in stock or be able to order them in. All the high street shops seem to have hugely oversized waists. :evil:
Ally

Post by Ally »

Already tried your idea Amber, We call it the doughnut diet, but it hasn't been working , currently appears to even skinner than usual, maybe he's getting ready to shoot up again!!

We've got a pair of the slim fit wool blend trousers from M&S, as we urgently needed a pair of black trousers for a smart do. They look nicer, but still had to pull in the waist loads.

Just looking at the size chart for M&S and I assume that all major high street shops use similar measurement. It means that a "standard" 11 year old boy must be nearly square. 26inch waist and 27 inch inside leg. Based on M&S's size chart DS has a waist of a 5 years.

I phoned the largest uniform shop in Hertfordshire and their waist/leg length trousers start at a 25 inch waist, so somehow think I might be out of luck. Might phone and see what John Lewis say.
twinkles

Post by twinkles »

Have the same problem with the skinny waist but luckily he is long in the body and not leg so at the moment am able to get away with younger boys trousers that will just about see this year out having let the hem down. My DS goes to secondary in September and is in age 7-8 trousers!!!!!

Since DS has been at junior school I have been able to get him trousers from a local shop that sells boys school trousers that fit round the waist and in the leg with an elasticated waist to the back of the trousers but none of this adjustable waist stuff which can look horrible if you have to have them on the tightest buttons.

Knowing my luck when I go to get trousers for next year they won't have ones that fit round the waist and in the leg and I will then be searching the shops like you. I had enough of that when he was in the infants.

I will try and remember to have a look and see what make they are and let you know in case you can get them online anywhere.
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

DD1 had a similar problem with school skirts. There was a very popular M and S style that all her friends wore and which was never going to fit her around the middle as it couldn't be adjusted. Even though she was quite short, anything that did fit waistwise was meant for someone much younger and therefore indecent lengthwise :o (I wonder if that has ever been used as an excuse for wearing a skirt that's too short!). She ended up wearing trousers most of the time - again for a younger age but were usually adjustable so were OK.

Now she's in the 6th form she can wear stuff that fits properly (no excuses :lol: ) and is very happy.
Marylou
solimum

Post by solimum »

Can you find a friend/ mum / great aunt with a sewing machine? It should be relatively straightforward to take in the side seams on a pair of elasticated waist school trousers. Failing that for one "best" pair get them taken in professionally. I've had to do various bit of adjustment with DD's skirts (also rejoicing that she is now post GCSE and will never have to wear uniform again!)
zvrk

Post by zvrk »

That's why we like shorts :lol: , he is wearing two sizes down, right around the waist, and short in lenght :lol: .
Every long trousers need belt in our case.