Accelerated Maths

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
2outof3

Accelerated Maths

Post by 2outof3 »

I have just had a lesson from DD1's school saying she has been chosen for the accelerated maths group which will mean she takes gcse in year 10. In year 11, she will be required to take an additional maths course (with exam) though this is not AS level.

Problem is that DD1 is absolutely refusing to go into the group and wants to stick to doing gcse in year 11 :? . She isn't particularly worried about the gcse but is adamant that she doesn't want to do additional maths in year 11 and this is compulsory.

My feeling is that she (as opposed to either me or her dad) has to take the exams and so its her choice. Also, being entirely hopeless at maths myself, I can sympathise with not wanting to do additional maths. She currently has no intention of taking maths (or science) at A level so doesn't think its a problem.

Just wondering if anyone has similar experiences ?
hermanmunster

Re: Accelerated Maths

Post by hermanmunster »

DS was in a set (of 32) who did GCSE last Nov and the FSMQ last month - nearly all are doing AS level maths (well all bar 1). They had no trouble doing it (30 A*s) as they were selected for that set and just sort of accepted the fact they were in set 1.

really not sure how to get round a child not wanting to be in the top set???? Could you try bast amounts of flattery??? Sounds like you need a face to face chat with the maths teacher...
Amber

Post by Amber »

My DD is in one of these sets too - she has just finished Year 9 and the plan is to take GCSE next year. She has been in an accelerated set since the end of Year 7. I must admit that I would far rather she had the extra year and really got to grips with it all than do it a year early; but she is of course delighted to be in the top set and doing everything a year ahead of the others. If she had taken the stance that your daughter did, 2outof3, I think I would have been glad - Maths has never been her favourite subject, though she is doing well at it; but I think she would have been better consolidating in Year 11 than doing anything more (I think they do AS modules). But I am just the mother, and the school think it's OK and so does she - and it is a brave parent who goes against all that and asks for a child to be put down a set! And yes, the A* rate in those who took this route last year was about 90%, with the others getting As, so I suppose it does work.
Good luck.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Last edited by Belinda on Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

Hmmm interesting, went to see a grammar school today which is hot on acceleration and most of the girls do 9 subjects in y10 and really not sure what to make of it. 2outof3 does your school have such an intense program and what is the ultimate aim? Do AS in y11 then A2 in y12??? I really dont understand it but this particular school is raving they are getting some great results but still I am not sold on it.

Your DD sounds like she is not sold on the further Maths, it doesnt sound too flattering when you are then forced to do something harder you dont want.
Impossible is Nothing.
2outof3

Post by 2outof3 »

Thanks for responses all.

DD's school is actually quite laid back compared to some of the other grammars in the area and they don't accelerate for anything other than maths and some for science. Those that do maths in year 10 (about half the year) no longer do AS1 in year 11 but something called "additional maths". The school used to do AS1 in year 11, but changed its policy once the A* was introduced at Alevel. It felt that the girls would have more opportunity to get an A* if they waited until year 12 to take the exam - hence the introduction of this "additional maths" in year 11.

For those girls who want to take maths to Alevel, I think the acceleration is probably a good idea. They get the opportunity to consolidate their maths in year 11 and then progress to the advanced stuff in year 12. For those, like my DD, who can't bear it, the thought of doing any more than she has to is horrendous.

To be fair on the school, the letter says that it's not compulsory to be in the accelerated group, so I think I shall just bite the bullet, say no and put a little explanation as to why. Let's just hope they understand....... :(
magwich2

Post by magwich2 »

A few years ago when Magwich major was doing GCSEs I would have agreed with acceleration etc.
Not any more though!
I think you have to look ahead a little - the whole of secondary education nowadays is one looooong interview for a university place.
To get into anywhere decent you need a string of a*s - nothing else will do and a few As will only do you harm. When it gets to AS and A2 it only gets worse - Miss Magwich will resit her maths modules if she gets any mark under 97% - yes I know, I feel really sorry for them all in this crazy struggle for a place at a decent uni. I am sure if the taxpayer realised how many places are taken up by foreigners there would be riots but there you are.
To try and conclude- I now realise that the school were rightwhen they refused to enter them for gcse early and what they need is at least 8 A* all taken at the same time and preferably in "proper" subjects. I worry about the IGCSE because it is (a bit) more difficult and the universities do not currently give it any more weight than GCSE.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

yep the smaller number at high grades is deal in our house - Ermysted's goes for this (well small numbers - the grades are up to the kids ) - Skipton girls very keen on huge numbers if qualifications - starting early... :roll:
Kent99

Post by Kent99 »

My daughter is in a similar position except that she will be expected to take AS maths in year 11. My concern is that, as maths is probably her weakest subject, she will struggle to manage the AS course in the teaching time available. Someone taking an AS in year 12, for instance, is probably only taking 3 or 4 other subjects and teaching is presumably timetabled accordingly. In year 11 it will merely be one of 13 subjects (all non-modular I believe).

My daughter's plan is to refuse to enter for the AS if she doesn't feel confident that she can get an A. What the school will say I know not. We will cross that bridge when we get to it.

At least maths is the only AS level she is down for in year 11. Depending on options, some pupils could be taking 3 of them!
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

hermanmunster wrote:yep the smaller number at high grades is deal in our house
Totally agree with this but now I am really worrying about our first choice school, they do 12-14 GCSE and I never understand the reasoning behind it except the headteacher raving that kids can take photography as a GCSE. To do that many subjects the school is red hot on accelaration such that 9 GCSE (minimum 6) are done in y10. We liked everything else about the school and felt it would be right but this accelaration thing is worrying me. Results wise the kids are doing well so I am thinking maybe just a little maybe the kids are well prepared in advanced. Year 7 who started last september are actually y8 since June, so things certainly move at rocket speed and my little one is used to coasting along so not sure now if this would suit her. :?
Impossible is Nothing.