Anyone targetting Tiffins boys, Kingston from Slough

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
muvvalac

Anyone targetting Tiffins boys, Kingston from Slough

Post by muvvalac »

Hi All

Tiffins boys grammar school is in the 50th place in top 50 rankings across the nation.

anyone preparing for tiffins boys/girls from slough

i am thinking to put this as first choice but i know transport will be a main problem

your ideas please

exam info about tiffins boys :

Closing date for applications to home Local Authority: 31st October 2010
Closing date for supplementary form to Tiffin School: 31st October 2010
Open Evening: Monday 11th October 2010 (5pm to 8pm)
Entrance tests: Thursday 6th January 2011

response is much appreciated
overpeck

Re: Anyone targetting Tiffins boys, Kingston from Slough

Post by overpeck »

Why would you make your child do all that travelling when you live in an area with grammar schools?
muvvalac

Post by muvvalac »

tiffin boys is better than my area grammar schools, tiffin is top 50 grammar schools in the country. tiffin has more extra curricular activites than here.

we may have to move to kingston if he gets tiffin

but i have not decided as to put tiffin as one of the preference in CAF, i will wait till i visit tiffin on its open day
Drastic Dad

Post by Drastic Dad »

I know someone who lives a couple of miles from Langley Grammar School and goes all the way to Tiffin. My DS1 passed his exam for Langley but chose Tiffin over Langley with 134 marks. With DS2 we will not try Langley. It all depends on what you are looking for. Tiffin has its own charms including a headmistress with a proven record of improvement at Langley Grammar School spreading over quite a few years.
muvvalac

Post by muvvalac »

Drastic Dad wrote:I know someone who lives a couple of miles from Langley Grammar School and goes all the way to Tiffin. My DS1 passed his exam for Langley but chose Tiffin over Langley with 134 marks. With DS2 we will not try Langley. It all depends on what you are looking for. Tiffin has its own charms including a headmistress with a proven record of improvement at Langley Grammar School spreading over quite a few years.
thanks for your reply, congrats on choosing Tiffin for ur DS1
onthego

Post by onthego »

I suppose the real question is how easy it is for the child to get to and from school.

Simply judging the concern by how far you live from the school is just part of the equation, if there is a good link by public transport then that can make up for the distance. A lot of children, from Hounslow, travel to the Slough grammar schools, because the bus from Hounslow is regular and reliable.

We live in Slough, but for ourselves Tiffin would be too far because we would need to take and pick up DS from the train station. We would be happy to do that however realistically it will not always be possible and we have decided it would not be practical for him to spend 40/50 minutes on a train and then another 25/30 on a bus plus factoring in waiting, however if you are near the railway line then it may work for you.

Even in Slough it would take our DS 15 minutes to reach Langley but 40/50 to get to Burnham or 30 minutes to Hershel plus 10/15 minutes waiting for the bus for any of those schools.

Every school involves some travel but the question is whether the travelling will dilute the benefits of actually going to school when a reasonable alternative is in relatively easy reach. That said we shouldn't put the cart before the horse, if you pardon the pun, our DC need to pass the exams first!
Last edited by onthego on Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
muvvalac

Post by muvvalac »

onthego wrote:I suppose the real question is how easy it is for the child to get to and from school.

Simply judging the concern by how far you live from the school is just part of the equation, if there is a good link by public transport then that can make up for the distance. A lot of children, from Hounslow, travel to the Slough grammar schools, because the bus from Hounslow is regular and reliable.

We live in Slough, but for ourselves Tiffin would be too far because we would need to take and pick up DS from the train station. We would be happy to do that however realistically it will not always be possible and we have decided it would not be practical for him to spend 40/50 minutes on a train and then another 25/30 on a bus plus factoring in waiting, however if you are near the railway line then it may work for you.

Even in Slough it would take our DS 15 minutes to reach Langley but 40/50 to get to Burnham or 30 minutes to Hershel plus 10/15 minutes waiting for the bus for any of those schools.

Every school involves some travel but the question is whether the travelling will dilute the benefits of actually going to school when a reasonable alternative is in relatively easy reach. That should we shouldn't put the cart before the horse, if you pardon the pun, our DC need to pass the exams first!
true, but we can not decide the preferences in CAF after exam results, we have to fill CAF before we get all bucks/berks/kingston exam results.

so we have to consider carefully all the options then decide
onthego

Post by onthego »

Yes, that is why we should not be too precise in discounting one or another, when we may end up with nothing that we wanted.
muvvalac

Post by muvvalac »

Drastic Dad wrote:I know someone who lives a couple of miles from Langley Grammar School and goes all the way to Tiffin. My DS1 passed his exam for Langley but chose Tiffin over Langley with 134 marks. With DS2 we will not try Langley. It all depends on what you are looking for. Tiffin has its own charms including a headmistress with a proven record of improvement at Langley Grammar School spreading over quite a few years.
Hi, do you know how your freind's child going to Tiffin from Slough, car/train/bus. in depth details are appreciated

For information for everyone: Tiffin boys is 9th place in GCSE rankings this year, LGS is 38 or 37 which is also very good.

I just came from Herschel Grammar School, they did better than LGS in terms % of grades in getting A-A*. Interesting
Drastic Dad

Post by Drastic Dad »

muvvalac wrote:
Hi, do you know how your freind's child going to Tiffin from Slough, car/train/bus. in depth details are appreciated

For information for everyone: Tiffin boys is 9th place in GCSE rankings this year, LGS is 38 or 37 which is also very good.

I just came from Herschel Grammar School, they did better than LGS in terms % of grades in getting A-A*. Interesting
Dad goes to work in Hounslow so he drops him at Sunbury on Thames station from where train goes straight to Kingston (journey time 20 minutes). On the way back mum picks him from station.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now