Help needed costume

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

slackmum

Help needed costume

Post by slackmum »

My DS is Badger in Wind in the Willows and I have absolutely no idea how to make him look like a badger without putting a mask on him. My MIL usually sorts the costumes but is unavailable this year and I am not very creative, the internet is not really being very useful.

Any ideas or links to resources gratefully received.
Snowdrops

Re: Help needed costume

Post by Snowdrops »

Off the top of me 'ead, I'd put him in black leggings and long sleeved T-shirt, paint (using grey and white) to create 'fur' down the back. Then paint his face to look like badger.

I shall have another think to see if I can come up with anything else that's quick and easy, but realistic!
Ally

Post by Ally »

Hi

You can buy fur badger complete suits and also tabards/vests but they'll be expensive and never get used again. How about the black trousers or jogging bottoms and a black top. You can then sew or tack a stripe of white fabric or fur along the center of his back, it'll then look very similar to the costumes you can buy. As a finishing touch you could either make or buy same black ears

You can get a mask cheaply, but if he's got any lines a mask won't work. Face paint might be better, which the school may already have.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

A nice easy image for painting the face:

Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Here's a picture of a badger costume someone else has made - do you have a sewing machine? The fur material can be gotten cheaply enough.

slackmum

Post by slackmum »

thanks for all the help ladies. I was thinking of dressing him in Victorian clothes, waistcoat, bow tie, walking stick etc as the play is anthropormorphic. Really wanted the extremities to be animal like ie face and hands, think face paint and ears are a really good idea and maybe a black and white wig. I did wonder if I could make some paws as well, although I think now my ambition may be bigger than my skill!
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

i am going to sound like a stick in the mud but I loathe this kind of thing as am totally useless!
5 year old has to "design and build a train as it would look in 30 years.Have fun"

To quote my older children ,"yeah right...thanks grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :evil: "
Search ebay - you would be surprised what facemasks etc they sell....
Good luck. (any train suggestions :( :( :( :( :( :( )
pixiequeen

Post by pixiequeen »

Slackmum, the Victorian costume sounds great - could you spray a white stripe in his hair with spray on hair colour and paint his fingernails black to look like claws?
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

perhaps some (old fashioned) stick on false nails (painted, as suggested above) would prove to be 'good' claws?
magwich2

Post by magwich2 »

Sorry but why would you bother?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now