Is Tiffin boys worth considering for a Slough Boy

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
muvvalac

Is Tiffin boys worth considering for a Slough Boy

Post by muvvalac »

Hi Tiffin boys parents and other parents in Surrey

We live in Slough and have 4 grammar schools in surroundings of 5miles from my house.

But I head Tiffin boys is very good in academics, extra activities and music etc, also this school is in top 50 schools.

Can someone please suggest if I should consider Tiffin boys as my first preference and put local grammar schools as 2nd and other preferences. Is it really that worth to consider Tiffin boys than my local grammar schools.

I know transportation is a problem and I am not happy for my son spending 3 hours everyday in commuting.
So I may have to move to Kingston surroundings if my boy gets admission into Tiffin.

But again, is it really worth leaving local schools and moving to Kingston just becaz it is Tiffin, is it that worth

Your suggestions please

Local grammar schools also doing very good and many come from West London, and it is silly that I am trying to go somewhere else. That is why it is said : Neighbours garden is green

Thanks for your ideas
geling

Re: Is Tiffin boys worth considering for a Slough Boy

Post by geling »

Hi Muvvalac: Tiffin is a very nice school and boys are happy there, however, in my opinion, you need think twice before you put Tiffin first. You said you live near local nice grammar schools , so, it is pointless to travel such long distance everyday to go to Tiffin school just for its good reputation. " Tiffin's garden isn't greener, I am afraid." By the way, the properties in Kingston or its surrounding area are very expensive and moving there is not an easy option even your boy gets into Tiffin. Please PM me if you want any further discussion. :D
overpeck

Post by overpeck »

I agree with geling.

Also friends may well come from other side of Kingston.
muvvalac

Post by muvvalac »

my main intention of thinking of opting to Tiffin boys is that, becaz i heard Tiffin is very good for extra curricular and sports/music activities.

my issue is that out of 150 boys only 15 will be chosen for a cricket/footie team and it is unlikely that my boy will be in that team as he may not be in the top 15 out of 150. so what about rest of odd 100 + students, how any grammar school or Tiffin is addressing this issue

what do you think of extra curricular and sports/music activities at Tiffin, are they very good or they are like in any good grammar school.
muvvalac

Post by muvvalac »

Any more parents: please share your opinion about Tiffin's extra curricular activities and Sport/Music activities
onehundredeleven

Post by onehundredeleven »

Tiffins is obviously a great school but I think you overstate the difference in extra curricular activities. Schools in Slough have some great facilities and also a strong committment to building well rounded personalities.

For instance Herschel Grammar has just built a £3 million sports complex: with a sports hall for badminton, cricket, hockey, netball, basketball and five-a-side football; also four new tennis courts, netball courts, an outdoor basketball court, and a full-size floodlit Astroturf pitch. Herschel has been awarded National Sportsmark Bronze status by Sport England and Artsmark Bronze status in recognition of its commitment to extra-curricular activities.

Grass not always greener
muvvalac

Post by muvvalac »

onehundredeleven wrote:Tiffins is obviously a great school but I think you overstate the difference in extra curricular activities. Schools in Slough have some great facilities and also a strong committment to building well rounded personalities.

For instance Herschel Grammar has just built a £3 million sports complex: with a sports hall for badminton, cricket, hockey, netball, basketball and five-a-side football; also four new tennis courts, netball courts, an outdoor basketball court, and a full-size floodlit Astroturf pitch. Herschel has been awarded National Sportsmark Bronze status by Sport England and Artsmark Bronze status in recognition of its commitment to extra-curricular activities.

Grass not always greener
You are right, I agree that Slough schools are good. But you stated , Tiffin is obviously a great school. Can you please elaborate on this if you can, any idea what is great about Tiffin.

I am trying to understand what is special about Tiffin that may lack in slough schools. I dont mind moving/renting in Kingston surroundings if my son gets there. But I understand is it worth moving to Tiffin by leaving local good Slough grammar schools.

Thanks for your comments any way: But sports facilities at Herschel/Langley grammar school and at Tiffin also are not only school pupil but can be used by outsiders. But obviously it indicates that school pupil will be beneficial. I agree.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now