Shall I appeal ?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

I wonder

Shall I appeal ?

Post by I wonder »

My son didn't quite reach the pass mark of 317 - he got 312. Is this worth an appeal in your opinion? Is it worth noting that he was only 10 years of agge and 2 months at the time of the exam or was this taken into consideration at the time of marking - if so, I would love to know how.
Many thanks for your comments. :?:
chad

Post by chad »

What area are you from? what school were you trying for? It sounds a close mark but I am not from the area (different marking system) so can't give you an informative reply. I am sure you will get a reply if you highlight the area/ school. :)
I wonder

Appeal

Post by I wonder »

Sorry - the county is Wiltshire - the school Bishops.
chad

Post by chad »

While you are waiting for a reply you make want to look at the Appeal Q&A. The considerations for an appeal panel should be academic ability (predicted 5's in SATS), strong head teacher support, mitigating circumstances etc. Etienne has posted some good advice in how to aproach an appeal.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear "I Wonder"

My advice is always to talk to the current head to see what he/she thinks, and how strongly the school would support an appeal. (After all, you're unlikely to get far at an appeal without the school's support.)

Secondly, as chad has suggested, have a look at the Q&As (follow link at top of page).

Regards
Etienne
Wonder

Appeal

Post by Wonder »

Thanks for the help so far. Please could you explain how the age of the child is taken into consideration when a paper is marked? I couldn't find anything related to this in the Q & A section.
chad

Post by chad »

Have a look at this thread..... obviously some areas differ but this is how Slough approach difference in age. (NFER papers)

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... highlight=
Wonder

Appeal

Post by Wonder »

Thanks - some really useful info. How can I find hot how the standardisation procedure was handled in Wiltshire?
Many thanks
chad

Post by chad »

If It is Bishops Wordsworth School, Salisbury they state

Bishop Wordsworth’s is a Selective Grammar School for boys, with responsibility for setting its own testing and admission requirements. .....

this is on their web site under 'admissions, Frequently asked Q&A..

Q: How are the tests marked?

A: The National Foundation for Educational Research (NFER) designs the mark scheme. All marks are 'standardised', according to the age in years and months of the applicant, to produce a final score.

Q: What is the qualification level?

A: All candidates whose combined score in the Mathematics, English and Verbal Reasoning papers reaches the standardized pass mark, will be regarded as suited to a grammar school education without further consideration.

As it is NFER tests then I would assume that NFER marks and standardizes the papers.......

The only people who could definately confirm this is BWS as they administer their own tests and requirements.

Hope that is of some help.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now