reading

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
samm2

reading

Post by samm2 »

My daughter is at the end of year 2 and is an excellent reader, however she does not enjoy reading I need to find a good author to encourage her to read. She is still only 6 but has a reading age of 9. Help!
yoyo123

Re: reading

Post by yoyo123 »

my daughter loved teh Animal Ark books and Roald Dahl
overpeck

Post by overpeck »

I would highly recommend Michael Morpurgo books
KS10

Post by KS10 »

You could share the reading. Children love being read to. My 11-year old still asks me to read to him.
chicko-mum

Post by chicko-mum »

DD also loved all the Enid Blytons at that age. She loved the characters, and couldn't wait to finish the current book (of whichever series she was devouring at the time) so she could get onto the next one :D
zvrk

Post by zvrk »

Amber

Post by Amber »

Mr Gum- Andy Stanton
The hundred mile an hour dog - Jeremy Strong
Mrs Pepperpot - Alf Proysen
Pippi Longtocking - Astrid Lindgren

My DD at that age loved the Josie Smith stories by Magdalen Nabb, but you might have fun trying to get them now.

Oh, and I agree a million times over with KS10. So sad if people stop reading to their children once they can read themselves (just come down from reading 'Why the Whales Came' to the 3rd of my 3, and it's just as good as it was the first time).
samm2

Post by samm2 »

Thanks for your responses. I do read to her, but finding it increasingly difficult as have 2 younger children who want to be read to as well. Am usually exhausted by the time it gets to bedtime! She has read most of the roald dahl books and we were reading Harry potter as shared reading. Will give the Enid Blyton a go and Michael m.
KS10

Post by KS10 »

I'd forgotten about the croaky voice after reading - and that's with just 2 kids!
I read the whole of The Deathly Hallows to DS as I didn't think he'd 'get' everything without hints from me. He has read it twice by himself since then and now wants to read all 7 books again. I have convinced him to wait until he's a little older as I think he'll enjoy them even more.
You don't have to read to her every night. You are allowed to feel tired. It's very hard being supermum! :)
dinah

Post by dinah »

You could go crazy and try some classics!! Anne of Green Gables-it is a hard read for a year 2 but not impossible and if she's bright it might be what she needs. Little Women also for the same reasons .I found the problem was ,with a high reading age it was a struggle to find appropriate content but you can have fum rediscovering old favourites. The Secret Garden and The Little Princess also go down well.You have to do the voices though! The younger ones will listen to the same stories if you read it well . Unless you have boys -then I suggest The Just So Stories and Rikki Tikki Tavi never fails if you do a sinister voice ...