Induction Days

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Minty

Induction Days

Post by Minty »

Ds came home from induction day quite subdued and and is so very sad to be leaving his old school. Had hoped he would come out excited and looking forward to next term, but sadly not the case.
Obviously we will be doing everything possible to reassure him and hope that he will enjoy it when he gets there - just wondered if anyone else's dc's had the same reaction?
SSM

Re: Induction Days

Post by SSM »

It probably just brought it home to him that he is finally leaving the school that he is at and going somewhere much bigger and probably it felt a bit scary.

I know when my son came home from his induction day last year, he thought most of the boys in his class were a bit 'strange' and loud. I think the induction days and the first few weeks of a new school are quite strange as boys try to find their 'place' in the class. However, a year on and he is very happy. He doesn't get on with every boy in his class, but with 32 boys you wouldn't expect him to.

I would just reassure him that just like when he started primary school he probably didn't know anyone but went on to make good friends, so he will at Secondary.

Best of wishes.
familyinthevalley

Post by familyinthevalley »

As said above, your child is likely just realising that they are leaving their 'comfort zone' of the primary they are used to. Depending on the school, maybe you could talk to the Family Liaison team and organise another type of visit to the school during something exciting - maybe an event such as sports day, or performance of some kind?
My son had his new parent/child evening last night - and it was noted that all the children have been separated so as not to bring 'primary school baggage' with them, and this upset him a little. However, he soon met another boy in his new form and they started a friendship throughout the evening, and were quite eagerly arranging to meet up this morning for their induction day. I know that today's classes will be exciting ones for them, and can't wait to hear his reaction to it. We are however going to an event that they have on tomorrow at the school just for more contact for him.
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

My dd is the same - the realisation that she will have to move on from her comfortable environemnt hit her last week and she was more subdued that normal. I think this is natural and have told her to make the most of the last few weeks - she seems to be savouring every last moment at her beloved primary school :lol:
jingle

Post by jingle »

Don't worry! My dd burst into tears as soon as we left the school, declaring it both scary and horrible. She came from a v happy, tiny primary and was just very overwhelmed by the size,noise and unfamiliarity of it all.
She is now a confident and 'cool' 14 year old who loves her school and is unfazed by practically anything!
Settled in very quickly after a very reluctant start, and keeps in touch with lots of 'primary' mates at different schools.
Son (due to attend same school) has just thoroughly enjoyed his induction day and been full of himself ever since.
Hopefully he won't go the opposite way and hate it when he gets there!
Who says it gets easier?
U400JB9

Post by U400JB9 »

Bizarrely my timid DD was the opposite, she came out of her shell and had a ball. Talked non stop to anyone who stood still long enough to listen. I was shocked to say the least.

I think the difference is she hasn`t enjoyed the last year at primary, the school has had problems,and she`s ready to go. Mind you, I do feel a tearful backlash looming when she actually has to leave
Minty

Post by Minty »

Thanks so much for your replies. Have decided not to worry so much about it and focus on Ds & Dd having a great time over the summer holidays instead - Will deal with any school nerves when September comes.
Wishing all your Ds and Dds all the best with their new schools also & of course fingers crossed for anyone still waiting for a place.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now