appeal for Catholic girls' school

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
dinah

appeal for Catholic girls' school

Post by dinah »

I am flying a kite here but would so appreciate some advice. My DD,Yr 7, is at boarding school which is strictly C of E -High Anglican. We turned down a grammar school place in favour of the faith boarding school .
For various reasons I have put her on the waiting list for a 'local' Catholic girls' school because it is the only faith school in the area (not catchment) which reflects the kind of school she is used to. This particular school admits 10% at year 7 on musical aptitude. My DD is very musical -three instruments.She has also studied Latin for a year and has an A grade in the end of year exams . There is no other school in the area that teaches Latin.We are not Catholic which is the abiding requirement. There are two Catholic girls at the top of the wating list and pupils rarely leave the school so our chances are nil on the waiting list. I have to appeal . does any one who has the time and patience to give it some thought, have any advice how I should construct my appeal letter?
hermanmunster

Re: appeal for Catholic girls' school

Post by hermanmunster »

Difficult problem Dinah ..... the High Anglo Catholic wing of the C of E is still light years away from the RC church despite what the press say. Think it is far closer to eastern orthodox and many ex anglo catholics feel happier there. Anyway my mutterings don't help you - the school is RC not orthodox!

Appreciate the Latin - it is a disappearing subject and i8f she is keen to do it then it is a shame that so few schools do it.

A friend and I did manage once to get a place for a child at RC primary who was baptised in an anglo catholic church (with 2 RC godparents - phew). However I suspect that, in the absence of conversion, access to this school is going to be difficult for you - the baptised roman catholics will definitely get priority and I suspect little else will hold much water at appeal.

re people moving - I suspect that more move than you might think and it may we worth staying on the list - depends though how long you want to continue doing this - are you looking to move your daughter soon?
2Girlsmum

Post by 2Girlsmum »

I presume that you contacted the school if you are aware of the 2 Catholic girls at the top of the list? Are you sure that you would be no.3, as a waiting list of 2 sounds unusual! What did they say about the music route - does it follow different non-religous criteria? In our area the Catholic grammar requires girls to be baptised and have also had Holy Communion and certificates are submitted along with a priests letter confirming regular attendance at mass. Without all these things in place the application isn't considered as they are very oversubscribed. For music places the criteria is the same, but a lower score would gain entry as long as it was a pass.

As far as I know rules about school admissions in Catholic schools are made/adapted by the local Diosese as they fund 90% of the costs of the school. If the head is sympathetic then you might have a chance, but it would be down to the head and how oversubscribed it would be. You should be able to check the Diosese policy online (we are in Westminister and ours is on their website).

Good luck!
dinah

Post by dinah »

Thank you for your advice-it's very difficult to be objective as a parent . I did speak to the admisssions officer and there are 12 girls on the waiting list and she did point out that girls can stay on the waiting list for ever!
I am thinking at the moment that I would argue the appeal on the fact that I turned down a grammar for the faith boarding school because the religious element was my priority . Therefore I am not aruging on grounds that the school is academically better than other schools and therefore I am not ciriticising other schools. It is just that this particular school is the closest match in ethos to what my dd is already used to .To say the least , a move would be unsettiling and a similar school would be less traumatic.The music is very important and she would be detrimentally affected by a move to a school that did not place a high value on Music( the school offers music scholarships which are not dependent on being a Catholic) and I am going to argue that there is no other school in the area which can meet her musical needs .I would also argue that as the school has performing arts status she would bemefit from this.
As far as the Latin goes also -there would not be equality of opportuniity for her in a school that did not offer Latin when she seems so good at it. There are also extenuating personal circumstances . I think my only chance is through appeal and I am wondering if there is enough of a case here.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear dinah

An own-admission authority school such as this one can appoint its own appeal panel, use a diocesan panel (i.e. an appeal panel appointed by the diocese to handle all appeals for catholic schools in the area), or buy in the services of an LA panel.

You do have a case. Whether it will be strong enough to outweigh any prejudice to the school, we cannot say. You have to keep in mind that on average around two-thirds of appeals do not succeed, the success rate for foundation schools tends to be lower than average, and the success rate for voluntary aided schools tends to be even worse.

See also:
13. Chances of success at an oversubscription appeal
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 35&t=15025

In terms of structure, set out your written statement on one side of A4, with a separate section on each of your main points (such as Christian commitment, music).

If there are any minor points, make clear that they are minor points and don't overdo them.

Attach as much evidence as possible (e.g. "Appendix 1 - baptismal certificate", "Appendix 2 - letter of support from Anglican priest", etc.)

Worth making clear your respect for catholic education.

Good luck
Etienne
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

dinah wrote:.The music is very important and she would be detrimentally affected by a move to a school that did not place a high value on Music( the school offers music scholarships which are not dependent on being a Catholic).
Hi Dinah, is the RC school you are wanting your daughter to go to a fee paying school - just wondered re your comment on scholarships ? If so the appeal for a place would be rather different I think

edit: ooops see you mentioned the admission on aptitude at year 7 ... sorry!
dinah

Post by dinah »

Thank you all for taking the time to share your advice. I will be taking it! I will post what happens either way but the school seem to think that an appeal won't be heard until late September or October so there's a long way to go.
Fatandfifty

Post by Fatandfifty »

If you want any advice I have just won my appeal at a Voluntary Aided Church of England school which was heavily oversubscribed for Year 9. I am a Christian but I did supply all the relevant evidence and some more so if you need a copy of my case I can email it to you with how I set out my case and appendices.

Good luck.

Regards,

Over the moon.
dinah

Post by dinah »

I have tried to pm you 3 times ,fatandfifty , but messages are stuck in my outbox. You might get all three at once or none at all...
Fatandfifty

Post by Fatandfifty »

Hi Dinah

Not received anything and I am not very techi so I don't know how I would collect a pm. Sorry I was never top of the class!