Should I use Susan D 1-4 techniques versu Tutors??

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Cat90

Should I use Susan D 1-4 techniques versu Tutors??

Post by Cat90 »

Good evening,

Help please!!

I have been using Susan D (1-4) techniques and I'm worried that I should have use Tutors version instead,

What would you recommend please?
muminTewkes

Re: Should I use Susan D 1-4 techniques versu Tutors??

Post by muminTewkes »

Ive used these as well as IPS...I found IPS easier(for me!)to understand :wink: but both have been good-havent used the Tutors though for technique but have for vocab.
slackmum

Post by slackmum »

This series and a few papers at the end was all we used and seemed to work as DS is starting at GS in September. Mind you if I had found this site before we sat the exam I would probably done a bit more! Still think the technique books are great as they are bite sized so I was always able to get DS to do it.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

I used the S.D books with DS1 because I hadn't found this site when I started tutoring him and didn't know anything about the format of the actual test. The problem is they cover much that won't come up in the test and they use the standard format rather than multiple choice. With DS2 I used the tutors because it just covers the 21 types.

However when I gave DS2 practice sheets I used the S.D standardised versions first because I felt they were slightly harder and would get him thinking more. I believe that in the second test a couple of questions turn up that are not of the 21 types. They are similar so most children are not fazed by them however DS1 for some reason scored higher than DS2 even though it should have been the other way around. This may have been down to the extra types DS1 worked on or the vocab questions which were the only ones where he had the edge.

Upside is I wouldn't worry about which you used as both are pretty much the same for the 21 types anyway just make sure you practice multiple choice as well.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

as long as the technique works for your child I don't think it matters which technique you use