Warwick exam vs Birmingham

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

floozey

Warwick exam vs Birmingham

Post by floozey »

Both Warwick and Birmingham do CEM style exams.

Are they similar in format and content?

I have heard that there are only 4 people to every 1 place for Warwick......for Birmingham it is about 13 people for every one place......does it mean it is easier to get into a Warwickshire grammar?
mike1880

Re: Warwick exam vs Birmingham

Post by mike1880 »

floozey wrote:...for Birmingham it is about 13 people for every one place...
Demand for the Schools remained strong and the number of applicants who took the test in November 2008 for entry in September 2009 was 3,585 (down slightly from 3,661 in the previous year). This compares to the highest ever figure of 4,106 applicants for admission in 2001.
Foundation report 2009; there are 599 places of course.

If you really want to make a difference to your chances, (a) avoid Camp Hill Boys (1 in 8 or 9 the last couple of years [edit - shouldn't be a problem, I've just remembered yours is a daughter :D ] ), and (b) better still move to Rugby (approx. evens chance, i.e. 1 in 2).

As far as I remember, we've only had the opinions of two children who've taken both exams, I think one said they were very different and I think the other said they were very similar.

[edit - if you're thinking of entering for the Warwickshire exam, you have to register by tomorrow (16th)]
Mike
floozey

Post by floozey »

Oh I think I have definately missed the boat then.

I know someone who is taking the Warwick exam as a mock for the Birmingham exam.......not sure if it will really help though.
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

Opinions differ and it probably depends what you hope to get out of it.

My personal opinion is that it's probably sensible to experience an 11+ exam environment before the crucial day to help reduce any stress and disorientation caused by the novelty of the events and surroundings.

If you're hoping that experience of the exam format/content itself will be beneficial then I have my doubts; fm, whose views are based on a lot more experience of this process than mine will ever be, believes otherwise (I think). I personally think that putting a child through two CEM exams is something you have to think carefully about. The first one can be quite a shock and I have a sense from looking back at last years' QM feedback that facing it a second time was quite unpleasant for some children. Others though will probably take it in their stride and you have to make a judgement based on your own child's resilience.

Mike
clarendon

Post by clarendon »

Mike and floozey,

May or may not help you but my son took both exams and the QM test taken by him seems identical to the first CEM test in Warks the prev year!

Son found KE hard, but do-able. He found QM ridiculously hard. He came out and asked me not to shout at him as he had guessed all the NVR. His QM results were posted to us and he would have been offered a place had he not ranked Aston higher. Re the NVR his raw score was 13 ( yes, 13!) out of 40!! He only dropped 2 markes on the English and about 10 on the maths tho'. He has all his scores hidden away in his room... I won't even attempt to find them. If they come to light I'll happily post them ( and daughter's tho' her room is even worse!!)
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

I think we can tell from the KE feedback over the years that they recycle individual questions, if not whole sections, year after year, perhaps that's what they did here (NVR in Warks was out of 37 I think)?

Don't mention daughters' bedrooms please, the subject makes me nauseous...I shall be spending this weekend in ours with a pitchfork and a supply of bin liners.

Mike
Charlotte67

Post by Charlotte67 »

mike1880 wrote: and (b) better still move to Rugby (approx. evens chance, i.e. 1 in 2).
Hi Mike, I think you'll find it's more like 1 in 3.5 success rate for the Rugby grammar schools (closer to 1 in 4 if you don't count Ashlawn selective stream).
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

You'll notice I said move to Rugby, not "somewhere near Rugby". The qualifying scores of 296 to 302 indicate that it's 1 in 2 in "Area 2" - Rugby and named parishes - from which it also follows that it's about 1 in 6 or thereabouts in the priority circle ("Area 1").

Mike
Charlotte67

Post by Charlotte67 »

I think some figures can be very misleading. Yes, you probably stand a better chance of gaining a grammar place if you live in Rugby. However, it is not the case that 50% of children living in Rugby go to Grammar school. There are (approximately) 1100 y7 places (state) available to Eastern Area children, of which 218 are grammar (20%). Many children who sit the 11+ end up at independent schools, which would bring the number down further.

My son's well performing state primary in a lovely village has (an average of) about 20% going on to grammar each year - many other schools have far fewer.

I don't wish to continue this debate on this thread as it is a little off topic but I could not let such a misleading comment stand.
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

Charlotte67 wrote:I think some figures can be very misleading. Yes, you probably stand a better chance of gaining a grammar place if you live in Rugby. However, it is not the case that 50% of children living in Rugby go to Grammar school...I don't wish to continue this debate on this thread as it is a little off topic but I could not let such a misleading comment stand.
I haven't posted anything misleading, but you have misunderstood what I posted. Nowhere have I suggested that 50% of children in Rugby go to grammar school. The question was about what percentage of children applying to grammar school are successful. The statistics are unequivocal - 50% of children resident in E.Warks "Area 2" who apply for grammar school are succesful.

Mike