Is Gad's Hill usually oversubscribed at yr 7 entry?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Medway

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
rubyhettybetty

Is Gad's Hill usually oversubscribed at yr 7 entry?

Post by rubyhettybetty »

Got YR 4 DD2's school report, commendable effort (much improved) so very proud of her, but she is firmly working 'at the national average'.

DH also pulling his hair out with her when supervising homework, he says she hasn't got a prayer at the 11+. She has been going to weekly tutor since October, and that tutor will be giving her an assessment at the end of August.

We obviously need a Plan B, as I am not at all confident she will pass her 11+. The state comp options are not all that attractive, and so I am considering Gad's Hill (how we will fund it, I don't know)....

Does anyone know how hard it is to get in during the 11+ results fall out period? Should I be doing something in advance of that? Obviously I want to hedge my bets!

DD1 is doing 11+ this year and is expected to pass, not sure yet of our fav options of the Medway girls grammars..
Fluffy66

Re: Is Gad's Hill usually oversubscribed at yr 7 entry?

Post by Fluffy66 »

I have a friend whose DS started there in Y6 (Sept 2009) which is i believe when they try to increase the year group from 1 to 2 classes. I believe they still take children for Y7 start and her younger DS is starting Y2 this Sept so they obviously have spaces.

If you want to know more i can always ask her, pm me.
medwaymum

Post by medwaymum »

Fluffy is correct. As far as I am aware, Gad's take a second class of 20 children in year 6 who are not planning on taking the 11+ but staying on for KS3/4. If you are sure the 11+ is not right for child and not happy with any other school, it is of course an option, finances permitted.

I do know several children who are very happy here, as are their parents. As always, you need to consider what school is right for your child - they are all so different. The 11+ is not for everyone, and I personally think that some of the secondary schools offer great vocational courses.

Good luck Rubyhettybetty.
rubyhettybetty

Post by rubyhettybetty »

What secondary schools would you consider then, MedwayMum? Our nearest is Hoo...
medwaymum

Post by medwaymum »

What about The Howard? They run a grammar stream/normal stream which apparently you can move between if necessary. They have great sporting facilities too and generally have a great reputation. I know of somebody who turned down a place at a Rochester Grammar for the Howard so look into it and see what you think.

Good luck.
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

Rainham girls has a good reputation too, not sure if the howard and rainham girls too far for you though ruby? :)
rubyhettybetty

Post by rubyhettybetty »

I will look at the admissions booklet, but we are MILES from Rainham, we're out on the Hoo Peninsula. Plus DD2 would not know anybody :(

Oh well, Get DD1 sorted I guess, then worry about number 2 :(
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now