APPEAL - Accepted grammar school - now want to change.

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
megs mum

APPEAL - Accepted grammar school - now want to change.

Post by megs mum »

:?: My dd passed the KEH exam (1st choice) and the SG exam (2nd choice)... and yes we have changed our minds. We now live in Alrewas and now (too late) realise it was a mistake because of the distance for her to travel and to be frank having made the journey with her on induction day there (fine) and back ( not a nice experience) we worry for her safety mainly because of recent shootings in the area. I know we should of looked into it more at the time and that is a big regret. Her SG mark was 355. Other than put her name on the waiting list are we too late to appeal and is there any merit in the argument ( which is true)...we don't think its safe. M
um

Re: APPEAL - Accepted grammar school - now want to change.

Post by um »

I thought I'd reply because no-one else has!
In all honesty I don't think she'll get shot, and I know the area is less salubrious, but the only place I have ever had my bag stolen was actually in Sutton Coldfield town centre - a horrible experience! However the closer distance is an important factor, as she'll be travelling for the next 7 years.
It is late in the day with 6 weeks to the start of term, to change, but as she scored well on the SCGS exam, she may just be right at the top of the waiting list if you put her on now.
Whilst I am not saying this to have a go at you at all, I think its important for any parents reading this post to visit schools and think carefully about travel arrangements. I personally know a few parents who are really disappointed, having got great grammar schools that they now realise are very hard to travel to, or (in the case of 5 ways!) mainly boys, and they didn't know. Visiting would have clarified that beforehand.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Um - thanks for adding comments - what you say about visiting is true - need to get a grood idea of what all aspects are like.

It is a long way from Alrewas to either school .... isn't there anything suitable closer? - your DD is going to be doing this trip in all sorts of dire weather for the next 7 years....

re the safety, I appreciate your concerns - i specifically chose not send my kids to school in a city I consider to be the gun capital of europe these days, however I did have a choice (!)-
As it is if KEH was considered to be in an unsafe area then this would be the case for all the kids at the school ... and that would make the your argument difficult to uphold..

You can always contact Sutton and ask if she can go on a waiting list there, you can even ask about appealing - however if you do, you must remember that the appeal is to say why SGS is the best school for your daughter and not why KEH is not the right school.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

There is no statutory time limit for appealing, so I think you could appeal if you wish. Note that, unless by chance they happen to have an earlier slot, the hearing might not take place until late September.

Herman makes a good point. The appeal panel will be focusing on your reasons for wanting a place at SG - much more than on your reasons for not wanting a place elsewhere.
Etienne
ews147

Post by ews147 »

The process could be a lot siompler than you think. A friend was in actually the same position as you - however, it was her son whom she had accepted KEH for but was having second thoughts in favour of SG. She simply rang the school(sg) and asked if they would consider taking him - they snapped him up pretty much there and then and his score was nowhere near as good as your daughters. Definitely worth a try if you are very unsure about your original decision.
KES Parent

Post by KES Parent »

ews147 wrote:The process could be a lot siompler than you think. A friend was in actually the same position as you - however, it was her son whom she had accepted KEH for but was having second thoughts in favour of SG. She simply rang the school(sg) and asked if they would consider taking him - they snapped him up pretty much there and then and his score was nowhere near as good as your daughters. Definitely worth a try if you are very unsure about your original decision.
Maybe Sutton Girls was short of boys that year, and that is why they were so keen to accept him. :lol:
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

Somewhat off topic, but since the "gender" ratio at Five Ways has been raised...I've been one of the major scaremongers on this subject in recent months, however I came across the actual figures from the school census recently and the ratio is actually 1 girl : 2 boys in most years rather than the more divergent figures that have been suggested occasionally. IMHO that's a tolerable ratio.

As to the safety argument for KEH: nearly 1,000 girls make it into the school every day and hardly any of them get shot on the way so I don't think the argument will wash.

Mike
ews147

Post by ews147 »

Think I was suffering from a lunchtime celebratory glass of wine or two on my last post - six weeks summer holidays had just started for me :lol:(oh the joy - it's times like this I really LOVE my job!
BTW, I also think keh is perfectly safe(I know of several girls who have gone there and never had any safety problems whatsoever) , so agree appeal would be a waste of time.If you remain firmly unconvinced, however, no harm in giving sg an informal call though...nothing to lose.
serialtester

Post by serialtester »

My daughter has been going to KEH for the past year and hasn't been shot :D However, the shooting last wednesday (I think it was) did cause her to be an hour late home.

If your DD would be traveling via the green bus then I can assure you that it is a totally safe way to travel - however it does sound like it would be a **** of a long journey for her...as would a trek to SG's.

Good luck, whatever you decide.
DIY Mum
Location: Not in a hole in the ground but in a land where once they dwelt-the Beormingas

Post by DIY Mum »

serialtester wrote:My daughter has been going to KEH for the past year and hasn't been shot However, the shooting last wednesday (I think it was) did cause her to be an hour late home.
There's always issue of 'safety' cropping up; perhaps a sign of our times.

We had a surprising incident at KECHB this year about a mysterious couple who are seeking to kidnap Y7 / Y8 boys (in particular). DS was late home as a group of teachers as well as the police were patrolling Vicarage Lane. One of the teachers gave some good advice- if you're in trouble, don't shout "help," shout "fire!" - it triggers a faster response from the public.