Where can I buy useful GCSE exercise books for my boy?

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

geling

Where can I buy useful GCSE exercise books for my boy?

Post by geling »

Hi: my boy will be in Year 9 this coming September. In 2 years time he will take GCSE. So, can anybody here to tell me which exercise books could help him greatly to get better GCSE grades? He must get at least 4As or more to stay at his present school. How can I help him to achieve higher marks in GCSE? Any suggetions and advice will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
atestingtime

Re: Where can I buy useful GCSE exercise books for my boy?

Post by atestingtime »

You need to find out the exam boards and course numbers for the actual exams that your childs school enter them for and you cant really do this until Year 10 when he begins the exams he has chosen. When you know this information, and the school will tell you what he is entered for, you can go to the websites of the Exam boards (Edxcel, AQA, OCR etc) and download the course syllabus, past papers and mark schemes. These tell you exactly what is required to achieve good grades.

Dont worry about books - just look for GCSE revision sites online - BBC bitesize, study guides, past papers etc and do some of these to see whats ahead.

Keep up the good work for another year and dont panic too soon is my thinking! My DS1 got 8A's, 1 B and a C last year on this theory and we plan to do the same with DS2 going into Year 10 in Sep - good luck!
Amber

Post by Amber »

I think you need to relax and hold fire. 4 As is not a huge requirement and until you have some idea of the courses and, more importantly, your son's likely performance, from the school, you are better off just letting him be. You will be able to find out in about a year's time from his teachers what his predicted grades are (though this is a year earlier than in most schools - are you sure he is sitting them in Year 10?); and whether or not he needs extra help. If you start working with GCSE textbooks now the chances are he will be bored out of his mind with it all by the time the exams come along. Why not just leave it to the school, until you have evidence that you need to do otherwise?
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

agree there is no need ot start now, but nearer the time I know my children found the BBC Bitesize good and also the CGP books. Check on which exam boards' papers are being used though. The "revision guides" available are not always relevant. For revision you can often download practice papers from the exam boards website,
geling

Post by geling »

Hi all: thank you very much for your valuble advice!!! Everything is highly appreciated. Oh, what a life! After my boy's 11 plus struggle 2 years ago, GCSE is already waiting for us ... Plus, my DD will take her 11 plus exam after this summer holiday...