At what age...

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

pheasantchick

At what age...

Post by pheasantchick »

...do you allow children to cook?

I don't mean the stirring, pouring, measuring aspect of cooking but the put in the oven, stir on a hot hob, pour water from a boiling kettle. ie. the 'hot' parts of cooking.

The boys decided to have pancakes last night so they made the batter between (flour everywhere!) and then my husband cooked them on the hob. At what age can a child do this, or put things in a hot oven (and get them out) etc. I've always automatically done the 'repsinsible adult' part of cooking, but now I wondring should I start to relinquish the reins a little.

Just a passing thought.
Ed's mum

Re: At what age...

Post by Ed's mum »

I'm not sure when really. But, my two (nearly 14 and 11) have been making pancakes this holiday when I haven't been in the house. :oops:
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

They start cooking at school in year 7.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

My older boys 11 and 12 are allowed to do their own cooking and make tea/ coffee etc. The dilemma is if you leave it too long they become too lazy to want to do it or maybe that was just my sister's children :wink:
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

Our daughter (10) occasionally takes herself off to the kitchen and makes a cake or biscuits (on condition she washes up afterwards - I have to do it all again when she's out of the way but it's the thought that counts :wink: ). I wouldn't be keen on either of them doing stuff on the hob yet but should probably bite the bullet and let them get on with it (or in son's case, MAKE him get on with it :evil: ).

Mike
Milla

Post by Milla »

we're lucky in that our hob is induction - no flames, little residual heat, turns itself off when can't detect a pan on it. On the other hand, this might breed a lazy expectation of compliant kit which won't exist outside the Nicest Kitchen in the West.
The odd burn or nick won't kill them and will teach a healthy respect. My boy is uber careful of the kettle now having got a nasty steam burn from it - more effective than any of my coddling warnings (which had, before anyone stirs for the Glos social services, been issued... and ignored).
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

I'm happy for dd to use the oven, but like Mike, I have to wash up again after she's cleaned up :cry: She also uses the top of the stove to heat things up: soup/beans etc on the condition that she ties her hair back (yes, I know it should be done when cooking anyway, but you know what they're like!!). It's getting her to understand that gas is actually gonna do more damage if it catches her hair/clothes than a hot oven will do with a quick burn to the hand (nasty as that might be!).

But around 11/12 I would say is a good age to start (with the easy bits and then work up).
wonderwoman

Post by wonderwoman »

All my older children cook and have been doing since primary age - KS2. They have all helped with cooking since preschool age and have been making tea and coffee since the age of 8ish I suppose. They are quite tall and I let them use the kettle once I thought they were tall enough to make it safe to pick up and pour into a cup on a work surface.

Each child cooks a whole family meal once a week and another washes up for them. DS1 is a good cook and produces complicated meals, we may get beans on toast from another. They have always really enjoyed doing this and it's lovely to come in and be presented with a delicious meal. :D

On the down side I can remember one burnt hand - might have been from ironing - anyway it hasn't left a mark and DS knew to run it under cold water.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Not sure how typical we are but here goes;
DD (now 14) cooks meals and bakes alone on a regular basis, including now rather complex recipes like profiteroles and curry from scratch;
DS1 (11) makes his own breakfast, including eggs, bacon and sausage, or homemade pancakes, most days. Cooks spag bol/chilli alone and bakes cakes independently;
DS2 (just 9) bakes cakes and biscuits alone (I am usually in the kitchen), chops veg. stirs risotto, that type of thing.

Mine have all been cooking since toddlerhood - scrambling eggs and making soup etc (with supervision of course); and baking too.

It was some time before they got the hang of the clearing up though, and because I was a bit careful over the temperature of the washing up water, we managed a few direct observational lessons in bacterial growth and mould/fungus!

Oh, and they all love cooking on fires outside, and yes, we do let them do it themselves - even starting the fire. We are always around though.
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

Amber wrote:It was some time before they got the hang of the clearing up though
Same here DD can cook things that she likes like spaggetti bolognise and bake cakes. My only annoyance is she loves cooking but would never do the dishes. I have her told her now that she can only bake is she can wash up but even so I still do the washing up afterwards. :roll: The other thing is she uses every pan, and board in the kitchen when she is cooking, so its like my whole kitchen on the sink by the time she finishes then she somehow manages to use the whole fairy bottle and still the pots wont be quite as clean.
Impossible is Nothing.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now