Here we go again!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Yorkshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
helhan68

Here we go again!

Post by helhan68 »

Having just spent £200+ on new uniform for Crossleys for a very excited DD-I have been brought back down to earth with a bump as DD#2 is now saying she will never do as well/be as clever/eldest DD will laugh at her if she fails etc etc

Talk about make you feel like a bad parent! The thing is that DD#2 is naturally brighter than her big sister, and all things being equal (and I know they are not) she should be successful too. She says she wants to go-and she has been doing some practice papers in a half-hearted sort of fashion!

God only knows how DD#3 will feel if she has both her older sisters in Crossleys! Although DD#3 is somewhat of a rebel-so I suspect she will want to do something different anyway (as long as it's not home schooling :lol: )

Hx
mitasol

Re: Here we go again!

Post by mitasol »

I'm sure it's more pressure the second time around but it will all work out.

On the bright side - it is so quiet this year that it may only be your DD sitting the exam! :wink: :mrgreen:
helhan68

Post by helhan68 »

Hi Mita

Why quiet? Low numbers?

Oh I hope she gets in-she is so anxious-more so than big sis last year.

Hx
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

Hi Helhan,

I just meant nobody has been posting this year - maybe everyone is lurking. :?

I do sympathise with you, my middle DC is also of similar ability to the older one but much less confident. I'll worry more about it next year. Hopefully you will both feel more relaxed after the pretest.

You could remind DD that you can't compare her scores with the older DD because the competition is entirely different. Standardised scores don't tell you how many she answered right or wrong but how she did compared with other children sitting the test.
helhan68

Post by helhan68 »

Yes-I think deep down she knows how bright she is, but it is the sisterly rivalry (from them, not us) that is the killer for her.

Nice to see you again on here-how is your DD getting on?
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

She has just finished year 4 so we've not started yet. I will start in September and make sure all the basics are covered before starting on VR.

I'm not really looking forward to doing it all again. :evil:
helhan68

Post by helhan68 »

Our youngest is about to start Y4-so we have a little while before we need to think about her-although she is doing well at school.

DD#2 is Y6 this time (her birthday is 27th August-she was born 10 weeks early-so she should be in Y5 this time-so really needs to concentrate as can be very distractable-an age thing?-or maybe just her!) So the crazy thing is she isn't 10 until a week before the term starts! (I know standardization may help her-but nonetheless a tough one.

Does your eldest like it? (CHGS or NHGS?)

Hx
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

It was NH and he's really happy. The first half term of the year was a bit of a shock to the system but he soon got into the swing of things and made lots of friends.

He is also younger in the year. Don't worry too much about the age. The effect of age standardisation is that a similar number of children from each month will qualify. Effectively DD needs to score well against other August children.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now