Indies pass rate and scholarship

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
vp

Indies pass rate and scholarship

Post by vp »

I am hoping someone could shed some light on my queries. I will be sending my DD to take the 11+ entrance exams in City of London, Bancroft and Haberdashers. Does any one know what is their average pass (acceptance) mark and what is the minimum pass mark for awarding the smallest scholarship?

Any replies would be appreciated.
sherry_d

Re: Indies pass rate and scholarship

Post by sherry_d »

If I remember right from previous post I think HABS just select the best from the intial test and interview and award them scholarships.

Its as long as a piece of string what level your child needs to be. We are walking that route too but a child can be awarded scholarship by simply excelling in one subject like maths or even writing so I dont think its a one size fit all. Habs and City are some of the most highly competetive schools I have seen on this forum. To just get a place is hard enough, if you use the search function on this forum and search for "habs" or other schools you will find previous post.

Also it may be worth checking the bursary options for a reduction in fees. Some schools dont require you to have passed a scholarship to be awarded one but the maximum income threshold tends to be around £45K household income.

This thread here may be useful

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 97&start=0
Impossible is Nothing.
vp

Post by vp »

Many thanks for your reply, sherry-d. DD will be studying in year 5 in Sept and so will take the 11+ exams next year. For the past few months, I have been setting her past exam papers downloaded from Indies school web sites. Although I did not time her and suspect she over run by 15 mins or so, the worst she got was 73%. She could get as good as 90% in a good day. Not sure how she will stand in the real exams next year.

We will not qualify for bursary. The only hope in fee reduction is through scholarship.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Best check on the scholarships VP - the fee reduction can be around only 10% - much of the money of schools is going into bursaries now. Many more people are now hoping for some fee help and the endowed income of schools (which is often what pays for the support) is not bring in as much income from its investments.

You need to have a chat with them now about what is on offer.

remember that many many children will be taking the same set of exams - some will pass 3 or 4 others none - many in between.

they can only go to one school so a large number of places come vacant later - hence the overall "pass" mark drops by the end of the process.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now