11+ prep for Ripon Grammar

Eleven Plus (11+) in Yorkshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

jojo79

11+ prep for Ripon Grammar

Post by jojo79 »

Hi

This is my first post on the forum, although i have been looking at comments for a couple of months. My DS takes his 11+ at the beginning of September, so not long now. We have been studying for about 2 months and started with NFER 11A, he had no trouble with NVR but struggled a bit with the VR. I then found an 11plus website and he has been doing the online tests working through the VR question types and and some quick fire tests, he has also done the NVR on this site but flew through every question. The VR has challenged him but it is sinking in, does anyone know how challenging these questions from the website are compared to the real thing (North Yorkshire). The reason i have got him to do the questions from the website is that he finds it much more interesting than the written ones, and it was becoming a chore getting him to sit down and learn.
I do not want to over do the preperation too much as i don't want him to pass for Grammar and then struggle, i just want him to go in prepared so he has some idea of what to do. His Maths is much better than his English, but he does well in all other subjects i.e science, geography and history. We are currently doin half hour every other day. Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks
Jo
Snowdrops

Re: 11+ prep for Ripon Grammar

Post by Snowdrops »

Hi Jo and welcome to the forum.

You'll find postings for Ripon Grammar few and far between unfortunately. In fact, as far as I know, there's only me on this site for RGS.

Are you in Ripon catchment or out of area?

With regards to the VR and doing it on-line, I would recommend he starts doing it on paper again asap. The tests are only a few weeks away now and he needs to familiarise himself with using the pen and paper method again, especially with regards to marking the papers in the correct way. As with all things, he may prefer the computer but it will get easier with familiarity.

If you are in the Ripon catchment area your son only needs to pass the exam. The pass mark is around 209 (standardised) each year out of a possible top score of 280. Historically of the 117 places awarded each year 14 are boarders, approximately 70 are within the catchment and the rest (about 30 or so) are from out of area.
jojo79

Post by jojo79 »

Hi Snowdrops

We are in the catchment and my ds goes to a Ripon Junior school so all good there, i realise the stress for out of area, as my sisters dd lives out of Ripon and goes to private school out of catchment so she will have to wait and see wether she gets in even if she passes. I think your right, we should do some more papers with ye old pen and paper. The only problem is we have done the letts paper that was multiple choice , i then bought some more papers thinking they we different but they were exactly the same, so wasted £10 and because i opened them to look at them couldn't take back. Can't really afford to pay for some more, do you know anywhere i can download similar multiple choice papers with same answer sheets. I would have loved to have got a tutor for ds but just don't have the money to pay, so all tutoring has come from me and although i went to Grammar myself, i have had to teach myself the question types so i can explain it to my ds. Oh the trials and tribulations of 11 +, i will be glad when 15th October comes round and it will all be over, either way.

Thanks
Jo
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Hi Jo

I've got a few bits and bobs I can let you have. PM me with your email address and I'll sned them over to you.

We live in Harrogate and my daughter got in (just) so your sister's daughter has a chance!
pixiequeen

Post by pixiequeen »

Jo, if I am right about the 11 plus website you have been using - you can print off some papers from there as well as doing them online; I don't think the format, especially for VR, is dissimilar to the real thing. I think there are some full length papers on there as well as individual question types.
jojo79

Post by jojo79 »

Hi Pixie

Thanks for your reply, your right the website does have tests to print off, they just don't have the answer sheets where you mark the answers which i assume is how it will be in the real tests. Do you know wether the answer sheet is seperate from the question paper like in the Nfer papers?

Thanks
Jo