Year 3 Numeracy books to do at home.

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
pixiequeen

Year 3 Numeracy books to do at home.

Post by pixiequeen »

I wonder if anyone can suggest a good numeracy book for me to work through with my year 3 DD?

I wasn't terribly impressed with her KS1 teacher assessment - 2a for maths, so I bought the Letts 'Magical Skills' maths workbook for year 3 (DD is a summer birthday, going in to year 3 in Sept). Other than Time, which needed a little extra work, she flew through it in under a week. I have realised that her maths is excellent, but she has no confidence in either her ability to get the answer right, or to correctly understand the question. Because of this I am reluctant to move her on to the year 4 maths books until she is super confident about her ability to understand the year 3 topics.

I have already bought 'Mythical Maths' for year 3 from the same publisher, but it is essentially more of the same. I feel that what we need is an extension book - the sort of thing aimed at g&t kids but the only one I can find is the Rising Stars Brain Academy series, which doesn't contain the solutions unless you buy the Teachers book for £25!

As DD is only just 7, it needs to be something fairly eye catching - brightly coloured - preferably with stickers :D

Can anyone recommend something? Or does anyone have any alternative ideas about the best way forward for my DD?

All suggestions much appreciated.

Pixiequeen
dottie1974

Re: Year 3 Numeracy books to do at home.

Post by dottie1974 »

Hi

I (well my daughter!) enjoy the Dorling Kindersley Carole Vorderman Maths made Easy books.

They have it split into different age ranges and for each range there is a beginner book and an advanced book. They have lots of gold star stickers in them too :wink:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_ ... ade+easy+7

I hope this helps?
ElizaBennett

Post by ElizaBennett »

Try ordering the Galore Park text books - they're not workbooks as such but explain every topic very well, with extensions and puzzles as well. You do need to buy answer books separately, but you might feel comfortable enough with your Y3 maths knowledge to mark them yourselves!
North London

Post by North London »

I'd also recommend the Galore Park Maths textbooks (and their books for the other subject areas - the English books are also very good) - and they do come with answer books. They're also ISEB approved. You could also try the 'Maths on Target' series - see their website. These are also used in prep schools for 11+ preparation.
pixiequeen

Post by pixiequeen »

Thank you for your suggestions. I will have a look at both those books.

Pixiequeen
Plum

Post by Plum »

My daughter is working through the Schofield and Sims books. No gimmicks but well laid out and she enjoys doing them!

Plum
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now