pass mark

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

jaia

pass mark

Post by jaia »

Hello, could anyone please explain to me about the 117 and 120 etc marks that I keep reading about and how these compare to percentages of papers sat at home? I have no idea if the average 70 to 75% is anywhere near what is needed to pass. Many thanks
sherry_d

Re: pass mark

Post by sherry_d »

The 120 pass mark is the standardisation mark while the actual score is normally refered to as raw score. (You can use the search button for previous post on standardisation)

A pass will depend on the cohort but it works out at around 55% for a pass which is adequate to get in most of the Kent grammars except for some West Kent Superselectives where the child need to score highly around 75% to gain a place.

From previous years

To achieve 140 (the full score), a child with a September birthday needed the following raw scores

VR: 60 – out of 80 questions – 75%
NVR: 54 – out of 72 questions – 75%
Maths: 42 – out of 50 questions – 84%!!

To achieve 120, a child with a September birthday needed to achieve the following raw scores

VR: 43 = 54%
NVR: 39 = 54%
Maths: 28 = 56%

Younger/ summer kids get a few more points but its not that much around 3 or 4 points max.
Impossible is Nothing.
jaia

Post by jaia »

Thank you Sherry_d! That's a great explanation and it's much clearer now. What a great forum this is! I think I might be getting addicted in the hope of finding anything to help us through this unusual experience!
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

sherry_d wrote:Younger/ summer kids get a few more points but its not that much around 3 or 4 points max.
its 3 marks extra for each paper- and while this may not seem much it can be the extra point or two that will mean a pass on that paper.

In the medway test the 3 marks(approx) gets doubled for the english and maths - so 6 extra marks on a paper can make a big difference

:)
jaia

Post by jaia »

That's really interesting and helpful, thank you. While I am here again, could I ask what the superselectives are? Sorry, but I really am not up to speed with all of this and it seems to me you have to searchquite hard for a lot of the information about the 11 plus. Thank goodness I came across this forum!! Why is it all so secretive?
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

The superselectives are

Judd School and the cut of point was 415 this year :shock: :shock:
Skinners cut off point was 410
Tonbridge grammar cut off point was around 405

There are other schools that take on scores but they arent as high like Maidstone Boys in Mid Kent which take 390.

TiredMum - True every point makes a difference and it could be that one point that turns the table.
Impossible is Nothing.
jaia

Post by jaia »

Thank you again, Sherry_d. My goodness there is a lot to know. I bet if a few of you got together and ran weekend courses for parents preparing their children for the 11 plus you would be overwhelmed with people wanting a place. Thank you so much for taking the time to answer our questions. Your support has come just at the right time.
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

jaia wrote:. My goodness there is a lot to know. I bet if a few of you got together and ran weekend courses for parents preparing their children for the 11 plus you would be overwhelmed with people wanting a place. .
Now sherry - theres a thought :lol:
jaia

Post by jaia »

...and this time next year you could all be millionaires! :lol:
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

tiredmum wrote:
jaia wrote:. My goodness there is a lot to know. I bet if a few of you got together and ran weekend courses for parents preparing their children for the 11 plus you would be overwhelmed with people wanting a place. .
Now sherry - theres a thought :lol:
:D :D :D

She has to pass first then I can use her a testimonial :roll: :roll: :roll:

Ha ha ha I really dont think I can ever do this again. I cant wait for bonfire after all this 11+ is done.

All the information I gave I found or read it somewhere before on this forum. Its all here but you just need to dig dip and use the search button. Its just not in one place.
Impossible is Nothing.