Confused

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now

Confused

Post by Guest »

I was listening to the radio this morning and they were discussing the new White Paper. However, I didn't really understand what they were saying. They were discussing selection for secondary school and how they don't want this to happen. Now I know that the majority of schools don't select other than by location and closeness to the school. I also know that many Catholic schools interview their prospective pupils and get references from church (selection by the back door). Does the new paper mean that grammar schools will no longer be able to select, or are they exempt from the discussions that are going on. It all seems very confusing to me. They were saying that they didn't want a return to the 11+, but it would seem that some areas already have the 11+ anyway and that this affects the intake of surrounding schools. Will Bucks no longer be able to use the current system that they have?
Romeo

White Paper - clear as mud

Post by Romeo »

I have to say I am rather confused too.

From my understanding the Grammar Schools remain on the whole unaffected. All other secondary/comprehensive schools will have to do an 11plus style examination [apparently in non-verbal reasoning].

From these examinations the children will be grouped into 8 sets of ability.

Then every (non independent) school will be forced take a quota from each ability group, so each school becomes a mixed ability school.

I may be totally wrong but there is plenty of details in the news section of this webiste going back up to four weeks, try:

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/11-plus-news.php

R
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now