Herts Primary School query

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
beagleboy

Herts Primary School query

Post by beagleboy »

Hello all,

I know this isn't really what the forum is about but am wondering if there are any parents out there that can share their wisdom.

My son is only 9 months old so I know am slightly ahead of myself however having had 2 brothers successfully go through the grammar school system in Essex, I know it often pays to start early!

I live in Hemel Hempstead. From using the school finder website my nearesrest primary schools are Tudor and Two Waters. Anyone have kids at those schools?

My wife would ideally like us to move by the time our son is of secondary school age-preferably further out in Herts. But given the housing situation, that will be fairly unlikely.
So my son will be hopefully educated at a local school and I would like any experiences of the ones in Hemel. Unfortunately my better half is dead against selection (she is a teacher) whereas I am happy for our son to be examined (probably because of how my brothers have done so well out of it).

Any thoughts, theories, opinions most welcome.

Beagleboy.
pheasantchick

Re: Herts Primary School query

Post by pheasantchick »

Senior schools in Harpenden and St Albans are good. Althiough houses in theses towns are pricey, alot of children catch commute to tehse schools, adn St Georges in Harpenden is close to the station. I know one family who's children go from Dunstable to this school. I don't know how common this is - I'm sure the schools can put you in the picture.
busybeenfun

Post by busybeenfun »

Hello

I know someone who has a DS at Two Waters and is very happy. The school also consistently has excellent SATs results but has only a 1 class intake I believe (30 students) so you will need to live pretty close.

With regards secondary school, if you live more towards the Apsley side of Hemel Hempstead then you may be in the catchment for The Hemel Hempstead School. As there are no partially selective schools in Hemel Hempstead then it is based purely on Sibling and distance from the school. It is important to find out from Herts Schools which is your nearest secondary school (you can call them to find out). The most oversubscribed school in Hemel Hempstead is The Hemel Hempstead school (in 2010 had 818 applicants for 180 places). If this is not designated your 'nearest' school then you are unlikely to be offered a place. In both 2009 and 2010 places were only allocated down to Rule 4 (i.e. distance where it is your nearest school). If it is your nearest school then as long as you live within 5K then you are probably OK. In 2009 the further place allocated under Rule 4 was 5.3K and in 2010 it was 5.5K.

If you are going to move, I would focus on where you are catchment wise for secondary school rather than primary.

I hope this helps a little and you can never plan too early! :D
beagleboy

Post by beagleboy »

Thank you both for the replies.

Tudor is the nearest to me. And then Two Waters. There isn't much in it to be honest according to the school finder site.

Hemel Hempstead school is my nearest secondary. But ideally we would look to move for secondary but that v much depends on the housing market. Who knows in 10 years time, the secondary schools might have all changed!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now