English at Wilsons and Wallington

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Webbo

English at Wilsons and Wallington

Post by Webbo »

I've got some questions about the exams at Wilson's and Wallington boys...
I know that the English component is divided between a comprehension and a writing exercise. Based on past experience does anyone know...

1 - Are writing and comprehension both taken in the same time slot? i.e the boys have to manage their time between the 2?
2 - Do you normally get a choice of subjects to write about ?
3 - Is it normally creative story type subjects, or pros and cons of an argument (benefits of homework etc) type subjects ??

Thanks in advance for any info :)
surreymum

Re: English at Wilsons and Wallington

Post by surreymum »

I don't know the answer to number one, but will ask my sons if they ever wake up if they can remember.
For Wilson's there is a choice, there wasn't when they sat Wallington, but it was a few years ago, so someone sitting it more recently may be able to tell you
Wilson's had creative options and for us Wallington was creative. It has been Sutton which in recent years has had the more challenging argument types.
Hopefully someone whose sons have sat the exams more recently will be able to reassure you this is still current
Plum

Post by Plum »

Hi Webbo

Things may change but when DS sat for Wallington last September, I'm pretty sure that the essay question and the reading comp were kept in separate time slots.

The essay question for WCGS was to carry on the story of the comprehension, which of course, we hadn't practised! I don't know if there were other choices.

I think Wilson's do the comp and essay in the same time slot, which caused a bit of bother for DS and he only had 5 minutes to write his essay - he only managed a paragraph or two. I don't know about the choices they get.

Hope this helps.
Plum
surreymum

Post by surreymum »

The Wallington essay was the same for us 3 years ago-carry on the comprehension but it was a subject you could be very creative about.