TOGS governors' places

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Out-of-area

TOGS governors' places

Post by Out-of-area »

Does anyone know the cut-off score for the 30 governors' places for out of area girls applying to TOGS?
eastsussex

out of area TOGS

Post by eastsussex »

Lots of rumours that it is very high - I know somebody who has a place with 418, and somebody who doesn't on 408- have you tried asking the school?
Out-of-area

Post by Out-of-area »

Thanks for your response. The question was really asked out of curiosity, as we decided not to apply to TOGS because we weren't sure if our daughter would get a high enough score. In the event she got a score of 413 and I've been torturing myself wondering whether she would have got a place. On that basis I don't feel I can ring up the school and ask. Perhaps it's better I don't know!
kentmum1

Post by kentmum1 »

I know how you feel! Just when we are supposed to be filled with joy, there is that nag at the back of your mind with a top score. Welcome to West Kent! We went through the same with Skinners vs TWGSB. It turns out that he scored 1 point above the cut-off and his best friend has got in. However, TWGSB was v much my son's first choice and we are all v happy. Unfortunately, there are some ignorant people out there who assume that if you get into one of the less selective schools, then your child did not do as well as those who did. I think we should feel encouraged that a top score means that our children will fit v comfortably into the schools that they've chosen and if they're happy, then they will thrive!
East sussex Dad

TOGS governors' places

Post by East sussex Dad »

Lots of rumours that it is very high - I know somebody who has a place with 418, and somebody who doesn't on 408- have you tried asking the school?
That does sound right - our daughter scored 407 and never got in. we heard the cut off was 409.

Any idea how many places come up at re-allocation?

Post by Guest »

East Sussex Dad
Potentially lots! Don't know about last year but the year before they were ultimately able to offer places to all candidates, in and out of area, who had a selective assessment. They did say in the handout which contained this statistic that that was unusual; must have made them the easiest grammar in west Kent to get into provided you were willing to hang on for reallocation.
Peter

Post by Peter »

Sorry, but reallocation was abolished this year. We now have waiting lists. The school cannot offer above their planned admission number on waiting lists, but they can (and will) go over this number on appeal.
East Sussex Dad

TOGS governors' places

Post by East Sussex Dad »

Thanks for your responses.

Am I therefore right in assuming that we go on a waiting list and then if the school has places available ,as some parents decline their offers, that the spaces are allocated to the people on the waiting list with priority going to the highest marks?

Any information would be appreciated.

Thank you

Post by Guest »

East Sussex Dad
I understood that that was the case last year. However a quick look at the guide to admission arrangements handed out at last Autumn's open days states that "The waiting list will be maintained in the order of the over-subscription criteria". That would suggest that out of area girls would have priority for any governors' places that become available but be behind in-area girls on the list for other places. The handout, incidentally, was printed on bright pink paper if you want to check whether you have one lurking amongst your papers somewhere.
East Sussex Dad

TOGS governors' places

Post by East Sussex Dad »

Thank you - I guess I need to wait and see how many out of area girls do not take up their spaces.