Difference between Denmark Road and Pates papers?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
happychap

Difference between Denmark Road and Pates papers?

Post by happychap »

Having read the Secondary School Booklet:

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 3&e=194543

I have some queries!

Under Denmark Road it says:

"For entry into Year 7 students will sit two verbal reasoning tests along with a non-verbal reasoning test."

Under Pates it says:

"The Admissions Test consists of 2 verbal reasoning papers."

So questions ...

1. What is the non-verbal reasoning test to which they refer to in the Denmark Road write up?

2. Why do they do it there and not at Pates?

3. Why have I been led to believe that the tests are the same at each school, until now?

I hope that some of you expert folks out there can help by answering! Thanks in advance!
cheltgirl

Re: Difference between Denmark Road and Pates papers?

Post by cheltgirl »

The HSFG now has foundation status, which means the governing body has more control of its admissions, therefore it can change the test rules if it wants.

The details of its policy are clear:
http://www.hsfg.gloucs.sch.uk/PDF/HSFG% ... ooklet.pdf

Glad our daughter didn't have to do the extra paper.
happychap

Post by happychap »

Thanks! Does that mean that if you want to go to Denmark Road you need to actually sit there?

I was under the impression that we could sit at Pates and see Denmark Road as a "back up".

Thanks!
cheltgirl

Post by cheltgirl »

Just re-read the stuff in the GCC booklet. The talk of non-verbal reasoning test applies only to in year admissions. Sorry about that.
gloucestermum

Post by gloucestermum »

You just beat me to it Cheltgirl! The non verbal reasoning test does indeed only refer to in year admissions

GM
EmeraldE

Post by EmeraldE »

This info almost gave me a heart attack and I have a DS!!
It does look misleading until you read the whole info for the schools admissions. The testing for IN YEAR pupils, ie. those who wish to join at any time after the 9th October would have to do the two VR papers and a NON VR paper.

I was frantically scrolling through the other grammars to see if they said anything similar. Moving the goal posts at this stage would just about finish me off I think

I am off for a wee lie down and to wipe my fevered brow (swoooooooooon)
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

DS3 hasn't even started down this route yet but got a feeling I will be praying for NVR papers to be introduced, :lol:
Amber

Post by Amber »

I am very sceptical about how far that is actually implemented, as I know someone who joined Denmark Road at a year other than year 7, and she did not have to take a test at all. As some girls were leaving, I think they were pleased to fill a place. This child did not pass 11+ and was not especially bright - not in any top sets at her other school. I have first hand experience of similar procedures at other local grammars; certainly beyond Year 8 it seems pretty easy to get a place. It appears almost worth hanging on for a year or 2 and applying late, if these are the schools you want.
Milla

Post by Milla »

a girl I know DID have to take tests to get into Year 8. Maybe it does change higher up the school, I don't know but I think people should be prepared to take tests. One boy I know a few years ago did have to sit a test to get into Pate's at Y9, but I've heard that someone else didn't.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Milla wrote:a girl I know DID have to take tests to get into Year 8. Maybe it does change higher up the school, I don't know but I think people should be prepared to take tests. One boy I know a few years ago did have to sit a test to get into Pate's at Y9, but I've heard that someone else didn't.
It probably depends on the pressure on places; towards the end of KS3 they probably find fewer trying to move. That said, I know 5 separate children who are switching schools at the end of Year 9, and 3 of these involve moves into, out of or between grammars.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now