Bus pass

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

cairo

Bus pass

Post by cairo »

The bus pass from Bennett's has just arrived (hurrah!). It's for the route that's closest to us (double hurrah!) However, it's a tiny, flimsy little bit of plastic and now I'm wondering how on earth DS1 is going to keep it safe, given his past experience with hats, gloves, lunchboxes, PE kit etc... :roll:

Other than physically stapling it to him, does anyone have any suggestions of things that have worked for their children?

Thanks.
Milla

Re: Bus pass

Post by Milla »

we attached ours to a ski pass clip - on a springy bit of wire which boings back and then the clip bit clips to the inside pocket of the blazer so it can be easily retrieved. Amazingly, our son has never lost it for more than a few days (the drivers get to know them and although they do insist rather on it always being shown, they'll be lenient if mislaid / left in locker etc). However, Bennetts will re-issue. You probably have to spend a fiver or something for "admin costs" but it's not like a bus pass in the real world where if you lose it you lose it.
DS2 is having a diff form of bus pass - haven't gone for the annual one for Pate's since the finances didn't really make it worthwhile. BUT if he loses these (each valid for 10 journeys) they will be lost lost. So I'm going to write his name and a mobile number across the back of each strip.
The Bennetts' pass is laminated but am going to write a mobile number across the back with a sharpie this time, just as belt and braces.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Oh that's a bit harsh (once it's lost, it's lost).

I have to buy my dd a 'real world' bus pass, it costs me £360 for the year and she can ride any bus as often as she likes within the bus company's routes. If she loses it there's a £25 admin fee to replace it. If it's stolen it's replaced free of charge. They can do this because the bus passes carry each child's photograph on them, making them useless to all but the most ruthless of children or adult (a child's pass differs from an adults).

Good idea about the springy thing, I think it would be easier for boys than girls though - girls are so .................. shall we say 'awkward' about these things (see previous threads on Everything Else with regards to bags, pencil cases, coats, shoes, hair, make-up, nails, coverings for books, etc etc etc :lol: :lol: )
Midget Man

Post by Midget Man »

I intend(when I receive the pass) to also put it in a ski pass holder card and then attach it the the front pouch of his bag. This way he just unzips and pulls it out when getting on the bus and will then be zipped straight back up. Hopefully he won't lose it too many times.
Milla

Post by Milla »

Snowdrops wrote:Oh that's a bit harsh (once it's lost, it's lost).
I was thinking of my friend's daughter who got a "real" bus pass once she got into the 6th form at Denmark Rd. The school bus just runs at 7.45 and 3.45 making it too inflexible for 6th formers. So her mum bought her a bus pass to a local service. The daughter then lost it but Stagecoach wouldn't replace it - no photo, could be used by anyone. There was a load of guff about it in our local paper which I'd link to if it didn't name her!
cairo

Post by cairo »

Thanks all.

Next on the shopping list: a ski-pass holder thingy with a snap-back spring attachment. Hmm... Yes... I can see me explaining that really well in the shops!

Cairo
Milla

Post by Milla »

you can get them either in skiing / outdoorsy shops or, often, in key cutting places - a few pounds but worth their weight. That Cobblers place, on the lower high street near the fountain (this sounds like Pulp's "Disco 2000", 'you can even bring your baby') just up from the Famous sells them.
Midget Man

Post by Midget Man »

I stole my OH's work pass holder :lol: So now he just has to claim he lost it when we goes back to work!

Another point-Not sure I would advise attaching a bus pass to the blazer, unless you have really careful kids who aren't likely to dump it down somewhere for it to never be found again!!