Sibling advantage - and appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

SAM777

Sibling advantage - and appeal

Post by SAM777 »

One of my son's are already in AGS, I am preparing my younger one who will be taking the exam oct 2010. He is doing it, but does not take it seriously. I am worried if he doesn't make it with one to two marks. Can I appel for him. Has any body been in the same situation, and had any success. :D
drummer

Re: Sibling advantage - and appel

Post by drummer »

Not an expert here but if your child misses by a few marks but you have good evidence that they are 'grammar school material' and the head teacher of your child's schol is supportive etc then you have a chance at winning a qualification appeal. However, I can't see how the fact that the child has a sibling at a grammar school would be relevant at all.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

If your son didn't reach the required score, then in Bucks you could go to a 'selection appeal'. As drummer says, the school you are interested in would not be a factor at this stage.

The only issue at a Bucks selection appeal is whether the child should be deemed qualified. This will be determined by academic evidence of high ability, and any (convincing) extenuating circumstances that affected the 11+ result.
Etienne
T12ACY

Post by T12ACY »

Just a cautionary tale that sibling link isn't all it's cracked up to be! I felt entirely certain having 2 boys already at DS's hoped for school would help but it didn't. Of course this depends on area / panel etc. but I would go all out to practice as much as possible and hope your DC passes. Appeal is not for the faint hearted!

Good luck x
Money can't buy you happiness, but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.
capers123

Re: Sibling advantage - and appeal

Post by capers123 »

Having a sibling at the school is only advantage when drawing up the order in which to admit children - so comparing children with the same scores, along with any other criteria the school or LEA may set to differentiate (possibly distance from school, being in a catchment area).

It's often raised in appeals (sometimes complete with the school reports of the sibling!), but doesn't count for much.
Capers
fed up

Post by fed up »

I am sure that the School Admissions Code states that a child cannot be advantaged when applying to a selective school because he/she has a sibling there. I think it's really specific about selective schools. I haven't got time to find the link but maybe one of the moderators has?
jdwarwick

Post by jdwarwick »

I think that is only when the school selects on score - then the sibling link can't apply over the higher score. However if the school does not select on score - then you can have the sibling link. I can't find the reference either!!
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

It only applies when they select by rank order scores.

http://www.dcsf.gov.uk/sacode/
2.74 Methods of allocating places for oversubscribed grammar schools vary. Some admission authorities allocate available places in rank order of performance in the entrance test; admission authorities for these schools must not give priority to siblings (see paragraph 2.16(m)). Others set a pass mark and then apply other oversubscription criteria to determine which of the candidates who have passed will be offered a place; admission authorities for these schools may use any permitted oversubscription criteria. Grammar schools must not use oversubscription criteria prohibited by this Code.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now