Just missed out..........

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

maymum

Just missed out..........

Post by maymum »

Unfortunately, after a long time waiting, my DS has not been offered a place at WHSB despite being no1 on the list for 7 weeks!!!!!! Its heart breaking that he has just missed out by one place and I feel gutted for him :( Thankfully, I have kept all of this turmoil away from him and he is excited about starting his new school :D
Good Luck to all new Year 7's starting at Grammar and Comprehensive tomorrow and Friday. Will notify if anything changes within the next couple of weeks, ever the optomist!!!
Thanks to you all for your comments and support over the last 6 months...............
I would be interested to hear if anyone else is in the same situation..............??
Chelmsford mum

Re: Just missed out..........

Post by Chelmsford mum »

Hi Maymum,
Sorry it hasn't worked out for you.I know it is cliched to say it but you are obviously a very supportive parent and so I am sure your son will shine and thrive.
Just wanted to say too that at my daughter's grammar school 4 places came up before the end of year 8, so it is never say "never".
However hopefully by then he will love his new school so much that he couldn't bear leaving. :D

Best wishes to you and your son.
onlyme

Post by onlyme »

Hold your horses Maymum.... it isn't over yet!
There is a good possibility that you have not been notified of any new places due to the summer hols.
I am keeping everything crossed for you & hoping that the news you're waiting for comes your way ASAP. :wink:
moved

Post by moved »

When I first moved to Essex DS ended up with a night in hospital, 10 days into the new term. We met a little girl who had just started comp and was then offered a place in Westcliff. Her mum was complaining about the cost of the uniform, but with a big smile on her face.

Whatever the outcome, he will do well because he has you as a mum. But don't give up hope. I took on a yr 7 pupil a few years ago. He joined grammar in yr 9 and found himself near the top having worked extra hard ever since he missed out by 2 points.
fizzwizz123

Post by fizzwizz123 »

hi maymum
i don't know if you still want to pursue your DS going to WHSB - it is their first day today and my DS has gone there - although still no. 2 on KEGS list. I have been told to ring KEBS tomorrow afternoon as their first day back tomorrow, to see if any boys did not show on their first day, without a reason - you could ring WHSB later today and ask them the same thing ? Its a difficult one now, once the boys start getting settled...... :? but i do have a feeling out of all the 154 boys at WHSB there would surely be at least 1 not turning up today for some reason...... :o
GibsonES335

Post by GibsonES335 »

Hi Maymum. I really feel for you.

It's my understanding that all the waiting lists for the GSs in Essex remain open until 31 Dec, so there is always the possibility a place will arise.

My DD is 1st for Colchester so I know how you feel. In fact, a forum member has just pmed me to say that someone did not turn up at ColCHS so I'll be joining you on the phone tomorrow with that horrible feeling in the stomach.

All the very best for you and your son. Fingers crossed.

The ride aint over yet folks!
maymum

Post by maymum »

Chelmsford mum wrote:Hi Maymum,
Sorry it hasn't worked out for you.I know it is cliched to say it but you are obviously a very supportive parent and so I am sure your son will shine and thrive.
Just wanted to say too that at my daughter's grammar school 4 places came up before the end of year 8, so it is never say "never".
However hopefully by then he will love his new school so much that he couldn't bear leaving. :D

Best wishes to you and your son.
Chelmsford mum

Thankyou so much for your kind comments...........I am ever the 'optomist' :D
maymum

Post by maymum »

onlyme wrote:Hold your horses Maymum.... it isn't over yet!
There is a good possibility that you have not been notified of any new places due to the summer hols.
I am keeping everything crossed for you & hoping that the news you're waiting for comes your way ASAP. :wink:

onlyme
Thankyou so much for taking the time to send us such a supportive message when you are clearly so busy with school stuff of your own :cry: It really means a lot to know that there is such support from you all...........I hope good news does come our way ASAP too X
maymum

Post by maymum »

fizzwizz123 wrote:hi maymum
i don't know if you still want to pursue your DS going to WHSB - it is their first day today and my DS has gone there - although still no. 2 on KEGS list. I have been told to ring KEBS tomorrow afternoon as their first day back tomorrow, to see if any boys did not show on their first day, without a reason - you could ring WHSB later today and ask them the same thing ? Its a difficult one now, once the boys start getting settled...... :? but i do have a feeling out of all the 154 boys at WHSB there would surely be at least 1 not turning up today for some reason...... :o
fizzwizz123
I do definitely want to pursue DS going to WHSB and I will definitely do what you have said and call tomorrow afternoon.......thanks for that :)
It is definitely a difficult one once they start to get settled at school but I consider it a move worth taking, DS loved WHSB so much at the 'open evening', he talked about it for weeks after........I am clinging onto the hope that one DC did not turn up at WHSB today or gets offered another school maybe CRGS or KEGS and relinquish their place at WHSB.
Thanks for your kind comments X
maymum

Post by maymum »

GibsonES335 wrote:Hi Maymum. I really feel for you.

It's my understanding that all the waiting lists for the GSs in Essex remain open until 31 Dec, so there is always the possibility a place will arise.

My DD is 1st for Colchester so I know how you feel. In fact, a forum member has just pmed me to say that someone did not turn up at ColCHS so I'll be joining you on the phone tomorrow with that horrible feeling in the stomach.

All the very best for you and your son. Fingers crossed.

The ride aint over yet folks!
GibsonES335
You are right the 'waiting lists' do, indeed, remain open until 31st December :D which means there is a glimmer of hope :)
WOW, no1 for ColHSG, that is amazing, I wish you best of luck tomorrow, please do let me know how that goes :D I know that feeling so well, its horrible but somehow I just keep optomistic............its a long ride, but I am not getting off yet !!!! :lol: :lol: