Appeal for another school in Medway.

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
lacey

Appeal for another school in Medway.

Post by lacey »

I live in Medway and I have been wanting to move my child to another secondary school but not Grammar. I have been asked to appeal. I was wondering if it is just straight forward by just being paperwork or will I have to sit in front of a panel?
jdwarwick

Re: Appeal for another school in Medway.

Post by jdwarwick »

I am sure that a more experienced poster will be along to give more advice. However if the appeal doesn't involve the 11+ then it must be that the school is saying it's full. You will have to appeal to show that having your DC educated at that particular school outweighs the school's view that it is full. The panel will expect you to be present so that they can hear your case ( in addition to reading papers you submit) but also to ask you questions. Hope this helps and good luck.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear lacey

You could do this by paperwork only (stating your reasons for wanting a place), but you should let them know nearer the date that you will not be attending and would like the hearing to take place 'in absentia'.

If you really are keen to get a place at the school, however, I would strongly advise you to turn up, as your chances of success will almost certainly be higher. As jdwarwick suggests, the panel will probably want to ask some questions about your reasons - and they can't do that if you're not there.
Etienne
lacey

Post by lacey »

Thank you for your advice. So they always ask you to attend, are there any reasons they would make the decision without even asking you to go? Also how long after sending the form do you hear from them and how long do you generally have to wait for their decision?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

are there any reasons they would make the decision without even asking you to go?
No, not as far as an appeal is concerned. Decisions can sometimes be taken outside the appeal process (e.g. a place might become available from the waiting list).
Also how long after sending the form do you hear from them
The appeal has to be heard according to the following timetable:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 35&t=15025
(scroll down to no. 15)
and how long do you generally have to wait for their decision?
No more than 7 days, although if they are hearing a number of appeals for the same school, it's usually within 7 days of the last appeal.
Etienne
lacey

Post by lacey »

Thank you for answering all my questions, you have been a great help. Thats why I always come to this site when I am worried about anything. Thanks again. :D
capers123

Post by capers123 »

I would always recommend attending. If you can't attend, then get someone to go in your place - but they should be up to speed with your case & be able to answer any questions the panel may have. For instance, parents in the armed forces may not be in the UK, but they have a Childrens Education Advice Service who will attend for them and make the case.

Most appeals where the parents don't attend are lost because there is no-one to answer questions the panel may have. They're not nasty or tricky questions - just things to which you may not have thought to already put in the paper documents that could swing your case.

Another hint is if you're presenting medical evidence - be it about the child, or even someone else in the family (ie clinical depression of parent meaning they can't take a child to a school 2 miles away, but could do one just down the road), make sure you get a letter from a professional about it. We may believe you if there isn't written evidence, but we probably can't accept your word if it's crucial.

If you really can't make a certain time, it's worth asking the clerk if the appointment could be changed.

But please, please try to go - it gives you a far better chance!
Capers
lacey

Post by lacey »

The reason why I asked about attending an appeal was because someone told me they didn't and the child got in. Which I found very strange. Anyway update time, we have received a letter to say that the appeal will be probably held at the beginning of September. I am not sure how I feel about it. I wished I did it sooner maybe. I have the awful feeling we will wait all this time and my DD will still be turned down. :(
capers123

Post by capers123 »

lacey wrote:The reason why I asked about attending an appeal was because someone told me they didn't and the child got in. Which I found very strange. Anyway update time, we have received a letter to say that the appeal will be probably held at the beginning of September. I am not sure how I feel about it. I wished I did it sooner maybe. I have the awful feeling we will wait all this time and my DD will still be turned down. :(
It is possible for an appeal to be won without turning up - a panel I was on allowed a KS1 appeal this week where the parents couldn't turn up (overseas for work or something like that), but they had a very strong case that was argued both in the original paperwork and in what would have been their speech which they'd sent in just before the appeal.

If their case had been average but the LEA's had been weak (as in the LEA saying 'the school's full' but the head saying 'it's over PAN, but under 30 in a class and we can fit at least 10 more children in without prejudice') then again, they could have won.

It is, however, unusual to win if you're not there - the appeal this week was the only one in a couple of years that we've allowed in these circumstances.

Please don't send in a note saying "I can't attend because I'm abroad on holiday and so is our child" if the appeal is being heard during term time. It sends a slightly wrong message to the panel as to your commitment to education (and yes, I've heard one just like that :-o ).
Capers
lacey

Post by lacey »

Update i have just received a letter to let me know that the date is 16th september. They said they will be sending another letter out to explain things to me. I really wish I knew how many people actually win these appeals. If the schools full, then surely thats it they can't accept anymore people. I have to decide what to bring with me and hope for the best. Because my child has been back at school for two days and is already miserable :(