Nearly there!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Yorkshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
jojo79

Nearly there!

Post by jojo79 »

After months of prep we are nearly there, tomorrow is familiarisation (hope ds spelling better than mine). Already had tears and tantrums tonight before bed and i think the stress is getting to him, although tried to reassure that it doesn't matter and he just has to try his hardest. Hoping that the practice tomorrow will help him feel better about it and at least give him an idea of the actual test.
I am not impressed with his teacher though who announced that they can see how they get on in the familiarisation and then if they find it too hard that they don't have to do the actual test...i don't think so, we would have opted out of the test if we didn't want him to do it!!!

Good luck to all.

Jo
mitasol

Re: Nearly there!

Post by mitasol »

Good Luck! :D
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

odd comment from teacher... really up to the parents! some find familarization test harder than the real test anyway!

Good luck !!
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Oh, it's a horrible time all this testing and waiting (remember my wobbles girls?). Just remind your son not to be put off/made nervous by others either crying or making noise (or even boasting/complaining it was too hard) - he's to get his head down and plough through it all. Remember, don't send him if he's at all unwell, get the doctor to certify his illness he can take the test again at another time. If naything unusual occurs get it documented (such as fire alarms going off in school during the tests etc) - hopefully none of this will be needed, but if you do need to appeal, you won't be scrabbling round quite so much for evidence.

He'll be fine. Good luck to your ds, and be kind to yourself too, it's more stressful than you realise!

Let us now how it goes!
jojo79

Post by jojo79 »

Thanks for replies.

He came out of school quite happy and said that it was easier than he thought, which has made him alot more relaxed about the actual test, first one on Friday then Tuesday. Although he didn't finish 3 of the NVR sections with 2 or 3 questions left and had 10 questions left on the VR, obviously this gives him an idea of how he needs to be quicker in the test. I have suggested that when they are told there is 1 or 2 mins left he should answer the rest of the paper ( especially in VR) by choosing any answer then going back to where he was and carry on, so changing any guessed answers that are wrong. Is this good advice? as he may at least get 1 or 2 right at the end that he otherwise would have not answered, or is this a bad idea. Hopefully when he does the test he will be quicker now that he has practised under test conditions. He has said that none of his other classmates finished all of the tests especially the VR.
let me know what you think.
Thanks
Jo
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

deffo worth making sure there is SOMETHING in the answers for all the questions.. for both papers really. the 0ne with multple sections is tricky as I don't think they can ' t go back to previous sections it at the end
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Yes, Herman is right, in the NVR he can't go back. It really is a rapid fire paper.

With the VR he can go back. There is a school of thought that, should a dc be running out of time then they should tick (for instance) all answers as being 'a' or 'b' (or c or d etc) as percentage wise (depending on how many questions are left of course) you're bound to get 3/4 right. THEN if time permits, he can go back.

He's done one paper. The next ones will be easier as he knows what to expect (of course, the questions might be harder though :cry: ).

Good luck to your sister's dc too!!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now