online testing

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Karma-mel

online testing

Post by Karma-mel »

Hi all with only a week to go im really feeling the strain of the kent test, my daughter on the other hand is not at all bothered by any of it which is fantastic.

My daughter has been attending a local group which helps to prepare children for the kent test and has also done some online tests. It was whilst doing these tests that im often hearing her say that she doesnt know about a certain question as hasnt covered that in school. Im a bit concerned as to why she hasnt if these questions are going to be in the kent test??

Can anyone shed any light on this

Kind regards
tiredmum

Re: online testing

Post by tiredmum »

Karma-mel wrote:My daughter has been attending a local group which helps to prepare children for the kent test and has also done some online tests. It was whilst doing these tests that im often hearing her say that she doesnt know about a certain question as hasnt covered that in school. Im a bit concerned as to why she hasnt if these questions are going to be in the kent test??
The maths in the test contain many year 6 topics if she attends a state primary then she wont cover them till accademic year coming up.

However as she attends a local 11 plus group - she should really have covered the maths topics there :)
Karma-mel

Post by Karma-mel »

Thanks for reply

She has only just started the prep classes and yes she will cover these area's but now only has a limited time in order to do so.

The point I was trying to make is that schools say that children do not need to prepare for the kent test. How can this be when some of the questions in the tests won't have been covered .

I am so pleased that she has done the online tests and is attending the preperation class otherwise i feel she would already of been at a disadvantage.
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

Karma-mel wrote:Thanks for reply

The point I was trying to make is that schools say that children do not need to prepare for the kent test. How can this be when some of the questions in the tests won't have been covered .
Exactly - i totally agree with you. Primary schools in general dont seem too interested in the 11 plus, so dont prepare them. I personally feel that it is very unfair to put a child in for the test without any kind of prep at all.

I have been through this process twice. dd1 went to a 11 plus-group. and i worked at home with dd2.

Good luck with the test, this site is great for support and info :)
Karma-mel

Post by Karma-mel »

Thanks very much and yes i just wish i came across this site months ago.

My daughters primary school definately does not offer any preperation and is very much against any outside help with preparing.

When we first decided to put daughter into the kent test this was based on her achievement throughout her primary years plus the fact that she was achieving level 5 in yr 5.

I felt very confident that she would pass but now based on a recent mock test and the online tests im not so sure I have read that children need to aim for 85% but she isnt getting anywhere near that that . Obviously this could be an indication that she isnt at the grammer school level but there is that part of me that wonders if i would of prepared her for it in year 5 maybe she would be getting the % that is required.
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

I think that the 85% depends on what area you are in? If the grammars you are interested in select on score then your dc may need a higher mark than if the school selects on distance. Check the addmissions policy for the schools.

We were lucky in that most of the schools in my area select the top 23% - which is all that pass - so we were not too bothered about the actuial score.

Level 5 in year 5 is good - stands a good chance.

There is another post running at the moment saying 85% should ensure a good pass, so dont worry too much. :)
Karma-mel

Post by Karma-mel »

We are in Whitstable Im not sure how it work in my area. I've read so much conflicting information im currently having a a brian freeze over it all :?
Karma-mel

Post by Karma-mel »

I meant brain freeze :oops:
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

frustrated

Post by frustrated »

Hi, Karma-mel

I live in the same area as you, and as far as percentages needed for a pass, I am not too sure. What I will say is that my son sat the Kent Test last year and missed, and I mean literally didn't answer between 10-15 questions on each paper as he ran out of time and he still managed to pass, with the individual marks well above the minimum pass mark for each individual paper. The pass mark last year was a minimum of 117 in each paper with a total of 360 0verall to pass. The year before that I believe the pass mark was a minimum of 115 in the one of the papers (I can't remember which) and 120 in the other two with an overall mark of 355 in order to pass.

The pass mark does change every year, and isn't set until all children have sat the test - it is based on how well all the children doing the test do overall, so the best piece of advice that I can give is to tell her not to spend too long on a question and if she really can't answer, then guess as she won't be able to go over the questions again later on.

The maths paper is the one to watch out for, as a lot of questions asked won't have been covered in school yet. However, the test is about how information is processed, logical thinking and being able to problem solve - being able to think in a different way. It is not a test to see how much they know based on the national curriculum but to see if they have the thinking skills necessary to be abe to cope in a grammar school (supposedly). Timing is also very important, as they don't give much time to answer each individual question (I think that in some it is only about 30 seconds per question).

It is a very stressful time, I know but all you can do is know that you have done what you can with your DD and be proud that she is at least giving it a go - so many parents and children don't even try and then never know whether their child would have managed or not.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now