Getting into a grammar school in Gloucester

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
cheltmum

Post by cheltmum »

Can someone tell me what sort of standard you have to be in order to think about applying for a grammar school in Gloucestershire. What sort of results are children that get into the grammar schools getting in their year 4 SATS tests?

I am interested in my child applying but don't know what the standard is. When I phone any of the grammar schools, the school secretary emphasises that for a child to get in to the school they have to be extremely bright.

In particular in relation to Pates grammar school I am beginning to feel that you really have to be incredibly exceptional to even think about that as a school. What does this mean in hard figures? What sort of SATS results do children that do get in normally achieve in year 4?

Does anyone know?
another chelt mum

Post by another chelt mum »

Have two sons who got into Pates from state primary in Chelt. Buy Nfer Nelson tests from WHSmith and practice. You do realistically need to be getting over 90% to get into Pates but that is after practising. Gloucester grammars are a bit lower. Don't be panicked by heresay and other things, just buy the Nfer Nelson tests plus other general verbal reasoning test books available and have a go. You do need to be fast and accurate but need to peak in about Sept/Oct before the test in November. You have nothing to lose by having a go!
bronco

Pates

Post by bronco »

Interesting comment about having to be exceptional to get into Pate's.

That might have been the case in the past and there are some really clever kids getting in. But there are also children being groomed to pass the entrance test.

If you talk about exceptional you would expect them all to achieve level 5 in SATs, that is not the case.

I have first hand knowledge over the past three years of children who got into Pate's, but did not achieve all level 5's in their SATs
Orson

Getting into grammar school in Gloucester/Pates

Post by Orson »

You don't have to be exceptional to get into Pate's. You do, however, have to be extremely well prepared and up to speed. There is no margin for error in the test, you can't afford any slip ups and you must finish the paper.

I reckon a child needs to be in the top 10-15% of their age group to have a realistic chance of being offered a place at Pate's. You can ignore SATs scores - it's completely different. CATs scores are a better guide.
Top 25% for the other grammar schools in the county. This clearly indicates that children do not have to be genius level.

Another Chelt Mum - To say a child should peak in Sept/Oct is somewhat strange. If the test is in Nov, a child should peak then!
another chelt mum

pate's grammar school

I agree with Orson.The SATs tests are a different kind of test, CATs are more relevant (however, out of interest, sons did get 3 level 5s, I have no idea what their contemporaries at Pates have...) You do need to be very much up to speed and must finish the paper.No-one seems to get in who doesn't finish(as far as I know, could be wrong though) although there could be some guessing for the last few questions! As Orson also says, should have said peaking in Oct/Nov not Sept, my mistake. I just wanted to reassure the original poster that you do need to practise and be getting 90%, preferably 95%+ by the time the test comes round. I do think over the years more pupils from state schools have been learning how to do the tests, but then the private schools have always known so it's levelling out the playing field somewhat.
Father of 2 @ Pates

Getting in

Post by Father of 2 @ Pates »

I agree that it is important to be well prepared and speedy, but lots of bright children don't get in because either a) they are not really motivated or b) they believe they can sail in.

The important thing is that they really want to go there and they are prepared to work hard to keep up with the pretty intense work rate and style of independent learning. I think it is a very different place to Tommmie's which suits many children better.
guest4

Post by guest4 »

are you saying that your children got level 5s at the end of year 4 (see original post) or do you mean that your children got level 5 s at the end of year 6?
another chelt mum

My sons got 3 level 5s at end of year 6. Wasn't aware anyone did SATS in year 4! Father of two is right about the independent learning at Pates. They expect you to just get on with it not much help if falling behind but it is the same curriculum as GCSEs at other schools presumably so teachers are expecting that pupils should be able to do the academic work needed without 'extra' help. There are still children at Pates who continue with outside tutoring as well...
percypie

Re: Getting into a grammar school in Gloucester

Post by percypie »

There is no guarantee at all with level 5's, children are applying to the Grammar schools here from such a widespread area and with children moving from private to state schools at this age as well, there are loads of children at this level qualifying for Grammar places but not all getting in. Its more about getting practice with the type of test they have to sit. However in saying that, there no point in getting them coached on that, unless you are confident that they will cope all round if they go there, you've got to be sure the school suits your child rather than being blinded by its reputation. My child started at Grammar this week and though he was one of the brighter pupils in his class at primary school, already its obvious he'll have to work alot harder to stay afloat!
EmeraldE

Re: Getting into a grammar school in Gloucester

Post by EmeraldE »

The most important thing is not to under estimate the discipline and prep required for the test. As for getting into Pates, I would not set my heart on it as the competition is pretty fierce. However, what is wrong with aiming high? If you are happy to consider other local grammars, which are all excellent I might add, then you will feel less pressure than aiming solely for Pates.

SATS are over rated in terms of their usefulness in predicting applicability for grammar. I think if your child is in the 'top stream' in a high performing or good school then it is worth considering. You know your child best but what with todays 'wooly' report cards it can be hard to determine where exactly your child is in relation to the rest of their peers. Go with your gut instinct. If you know your wee one is clever then why not give them the chance of having a greater choice of schools? It can be a tough road (my nerves are currently frayed beyond all useful functionality, having done two years in a row :0) but for those who gain those valuable places it is so worth it.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now