How did DC's find their first day?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
MasterChief

How did DC's find their first day?

Post by MasterChief »

Just wondering how everyones DC's enjoyed (or otherwise) their first day as Year 7's?
DS was quite nervous this morning with a few tears but came out of school with a huge smile, saying it wasn't as bad as he'd expected. By 6:30 pm however he was saying how much he missed his old school. When I asked why he said that his old school was set up as a happy, smiley place and his new school seemed really disciplined.
Some friends from his old school have transferred to the same school but none of them are in his class. I tried telling him that it's just the way it is, but he didn't seem convinced.
I'm hoping tomorrow will be better.
"We've got a date with Destiny and it looks like she's ordered the lobster."
jingle

Re: How did DC's find their first day?

Post by jingle »

My son has also had the odd wobble. He is quite shy and struggles to make the first move when making friends. He is also the only one in his class from the school and has found himself way out of his 'comfort zone'.
First day was ok, second was dreadful with lots of tears afterwards and feeling very lonely and out on a limb. He was dreading the third day, couldn't sleep etc and very worried he would be all by himself again, but thank goodness for a really kind lad in his class who made a real effort to include him and help. This made all the difference and he had a really good day yesterday thanks to this lovely boy who helped him to join in and get to know some of the others.
It is such a huge thing for these youngsters (and us parents!) and it will probably take a bit longer for some to settle than others. Take heart! It hopefully just needs a bit of time to get used to all the 'newness'
ourmaminhavana

Post by ourmaminhavana »

It's such a big step for them isn't it? It's a huge amount to assimilate and a big leap from a state primary. So many new classrooms,different teachers as well as the logistics of actually getting there (extremely early on public transport).
I think also the more conscientious our DCs the bigger the strain for them in trying to take everything new on board.
DS took ages to get to sleep the night before, didn't text me at all as previously agreed, then finally phoned to say he'd missed the bus home. I thought he was joking until I heard the Head of Sixth form in the background telling him to let me know she'd bring him.
Turns out his mobile phone, which we'd been encouraging him to get used to, had 'frozen' too, hence the complete lack of communication.
Despite all of this he seemed pretty OK when he did finally arrive home, even though he still feels a bit out of it as he didn't know a soul. Hope he meets a kind boy like your son Jingle!
Likes his female PE teacher and even appears ready to go to football club so relieved he's joining in (as long as he doesn't chicken out).
I can well imagine that the second night could be worse though as it all begins to sink in.

DD who started primary seemed to love it then burst into tears this morning and said she just wanted to stay home and kiss me all day. :(

Do hope all our DCs are soon at ease, making friends and flourishing in their new surroundings. :)
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

My dd2 had her third day yesterday.
Her first left her exhausted and in her Pj's by 7 pm.
Her second was full of her enjoyment of lessons.
Her third was full of how many friends she had made.

She is my second dd to go to secondary and i have posted somewhere else that when dd1 started in 2006 i expected it to be easy - she was at secondary school now - they could take over and she would suddenly become organised! Needless to say i learnt very quickly this is not the case. They still need so much help with the organising and homework and understanding when they are tired or have missed the bus. Not to mention friendship problems!

Jingle- my dd2 is also the only one from her old school in her class - i actually think this helps them settle in quicker. They are not competing against their old school friends in class and making friends. dd1 was with others from her old school and there were problems that arose.

I am happy dd2 seems to be settling in well but i learnt my lesson last time so am well prepared for the hic-cups. IMO what ever secondary school they go to it is hardly ever plain sailing - after all thats why they have us :lol:

As to missing their primary - thats bound to happen - I MISS IT too :lol: my dd is lucky in that we live in a community where all the kids play at the local park so she has already caught up with her old school friends who have gone to different secondarys.
U400JB9

Post by U400JB9 »

My DD1 has just had day five at her new school.......and she is loving it. She took to it like a duck to water surprising everyone. Having said that DD didn`t like her primary school and always felt isolated there having moved there in year 4. I think going to secondary school has levelled the playing field for her

Her friend, who was a very popular girl in primary school, is finding it harder.....but she came out all smiles today.

I have noticed a huge difference in her this week, she`s catching public transport on her own and coping with the canteen system ( I know they all are). 10 weeks ago I`m not sure she`d have done it...she`s always been quite `young` for her age.

I`m sure they`ll all settle well in the next few days.......
Midget Man

Post by Midget Man »

Midget is also on day 5 now and you wouldn't think he'd only just started. He likes the bus journey as get's to chat,not moaning about anything, has started to make friends within his house and has spent every day playing with another lad form the bus :D If they aren't at each other's houses, then they are out playing on the rec :D
marigold

Post by marigold »

Day four here and loving every minute so far.

I however have made a bit of a strategic error in deciding that he should get up at the same time as he was for primary school, even though he has to leave home half an hour earlier. I thought this may focus his mind a bit, ie get dressed, eat breakfast, clean teeth, leave the house rather than spending at least 20 mins each morning looking for shoes, bickering with sisters, finding some thing essential to do which involved emptying entire bedside cupboard etc etc.
Huge mistake which has resulted in quite a few shouty moments ( Luckily my neighbour is away on a National Trust tour of Yorkshire so not able to hear, although perhaps she can ? ).

Tomorrow I will grit my teeth, set the alarm for 7 am and allow for the inevitable faffing of an 11 year old boy.
rosered100

Post by rosered100 »

Day 5 here.

Yesterday morning got a phone call from the school to tell me that DS had broken his nose playing rugby :( Even though it was really painful & bleeding quite badly he refused to come home (it was science next which is his favourite subject) & even asked if he could do the rugby club after school , which I refused.

Today he is wildly excited as he has been given loads of homework :shock: & he said it was his first real full day of lessons (I should say that for the last couple of years he has cried in frustration quite often at the lack of any learning at school) I'm sure that being happy with being set homework will soon wear off though.

Already I can see a real change in him - he is so enthusiastic & on a permanent high - as he used to be before he went to his most recent school which though considered 'outstanding' was not academic at all & he really felt that.
T12ACY

Post by T12ACY »

Well..... DS's day 1 went ok. He seemed happy enough but when he told me he walked round at break and lunch times on his own I felt sick! He knows nobody at all at the new school :?

Today was day 5 and he seems to have morphed in to a boy I don't recognise! He travels to and from school on the train, catching the bus home from the station and has found a couple of travel companions. He comes in every night and does his homework with a degree of enthusiasm (although not sure how long this will last!) and when I went in to his room at 9pm for the past 3 nights he has been reading :shock: This is a boy who I would have to battle to get him to read in the lead up to his Kent Test!!!!! He smiles all the time and sings as he does his work. It truly is a miracle :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Long may it continue :D
Money can't buy you happiness, but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Lovely news T12ACY, and all the sweeter after your struggles. :o

Don't think I would be too delighted about a broken nose on day 2 though. :(
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now