Any one with dc's at Bexleyheath School?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Bomper

Any one with dc's at Bexleyheath School?

Post by Bomper »

It is looking increasingly likely that Dd will NOT pass the 11+. Convenience wise Bexleyheath is the best school for us, but it hasn't got the greatest reputation, is that fair though? Has anyone got children that go there who can give me an accurate description of what it's like? I would be really grateful. :D
Bexley Mum 2

Re: Any one with dc's at Bexleyheath School?

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

I've been very critical of Bexleyheath in the past, and if you scroll down, you'll probably find other threads about the school. I have no direct experience, but I do know that there is a big effort going on to improve the school. At least one of the more successful schools in the area is involved in improving standards. The impression I get from parents with children at the school is that if your child is clever, ie just missed passing the 11+, they will get a lot of help and encouragement. I think if I had a borderline child I would prefer them to be a 'star' at Bexleyheath than struggling at a grammar school. I do know parents who are very happy with the school and I have probably heard more say positive things than negative.

With 3 children now in secondary education, I am coming to the conclusion that success depends more on the child than which school they are at. A reasonably bright and well-motivated child (I have one of those) will probably do better than a very intelligent, but lazy child (I have one of those too) wherever they are.

Good luck.
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

BM2 just beat me to it!

I'm not a fan of BS but I haven't got a child there.
I looked at it wth my youngest last year and, although the new Head was direct, the school lacked authority.
The mixed ability classes that I visited were a free-for-all and my dd was horrified. Grafitti, vandalism and litter everywhere, total disrespect all around.

I do know parents who have kids there, some are doing well and some are not. It does depend on the child but also on the class that the child ends up in. If things are going well then that's fine, but if things need attention, from my experience, no-one seems to care enough to do anything about it.

I would give the school a visit with your child and make up your own mind.
Bomper

Post by Bomper »

Thanks for your replies. I am totally stressed about the whole thing to be honest. Ds did the same thing to me two years ago!! Missed Bexley test by 1 point, but luckily passed the Kent test and has ended up at Wilmington Grammar School for Boys and is thriving!! Dd, I fear, will not be so lucky!! We looked around Cleeve Park School with ds a couple of years ago and really liked it, but it is a bit of an awkward journey from where we live, so we are just weighing up our options. Not much of a choice though is it?!! :(
blessedmum

Post by blessedmum »

Bomper,

don't know a lot about these schools but have you thought of Blackfen for girls. Not sure if its a lot better. I also know girls that travel to Beaverwood in Chislehurst. Again no direct expereince of that either.
Bomper

Post by Bomper »

Think we are too far away from Blackfen Girls School, but don't know about Beaverwood, will look into it - thanks!! :)
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

Bomper, I used to work at CP and would recommend it over BS and Welling. CP is not perfect but miles better than the other two in my opinion.
VI DD

Post by VI DD »

Another option for girls in Bxh is St Catherines
Muggle

Post by Muggle »

VI DD wrote:Another option for girls in Bxh is St Catherines
But only if you're prepared to put in the church appearances every Sunday morning in the the year or two running up to the application !!!!
VI DD

Post by VI DD »

Muggle wrote:But only if you're prepared to put in the church appearances every Sunday morning in the the year or two running up to the application !!!!
Not always.. Catholic girls regardless of whether they practice or not still get priority but they take many non catholics since they expanded 6 years ago
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now