NFER Test scores

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
hdq2907

NFER Test scores

Post by hdq2907 »

hi,

My son is due to take the kent test this year. We have so far tackled the NVR NFER test papers and scored 11a - 53% 11b - 65% and 11c - 58%. I'm totally lost about whether this is good, o.k or not. He got reading level 5, Maths 4a and writing 4c in the end of year 5 optional sats so think he's clever enough to try the test but I'm feeling a bit lost. Please can someone help.

Thanks

HQ
sherry_d

Re: NFER Test scores

Post by sherry_d »

We are just going through the process too. A pass is around the region of 55% in the actual test and can go slightly up and down. Your DC is doing well but perhaps do a bit more practice as the scores are a bit too close for comfort. I think an average of 60%+ would be a bit more safer.

You can get some Bond Papers for more practice. They are slightly harder than NFER.

I would recommend however that if you can perhaps get hold of these first AFN http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/books/ ... %3D4%23b49

There are much easier and will really help boost your DC confidence. You dont have to do all. One or two may do, then move on to Bond which are slightly harder.

11A is a notoriously harder paper so that score your DC got isnt bad at all.
Impossible is Nothing.
hdq2907

Post by hdq2907 »

You're in Maidstone too? We're looking at Oakwood if he passes. That does sound close for comfort! When I go over the papers he can see his mistakes easily so I think you're right - practice, practice, practice. Thanks for the other tests - they look like a good option.
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

hdq2907 wrote:You're in Maidstone too?
Yes but I do have a girl so we are looking at Invicta. Practice will definately help and there is still time to do a little bit more practice.
Impossible is Nothing.
hdq2907

Post by hdq2907 »

I've 2 girls too and another boy so I'll be an expert by the time I've finished!
anowicka

Post by anowicka »

[There are much easier and will really help boost your DC confidence. You dont have to do all. One or two may do, then move on to Bond which are slightly harder.
]

Please could you advise if VR Bond are relevent for Kent test?

Thank you.
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

VR Bond includes many questions which arent relevant for Kent. There are about 40 types of questions in Bond whereas we need about 15 for Kent and on occasion I have heard they slip the other from 6 types. It really would do no harm to do BOND but you DC will be doing about half work that isnt relevant for Kent test. I think I have seen somewhere that Bond now have new VR books and papers which are more relevant. I havent seen these myself so if you are going to use Bond VR make sure you buy the new version.
Impossible is Nothing.
anowicka

Post by anowicka »

Thank you Sherry_d

Please could you confirm if you mean the first 15 types listed below? If so, would you mind to advise on any books/papers which cover all the types please. I do not want my DD to do unnecessary work. Thank you in advice.

1 = A = Insert a letter
2 = B = Related words
3 = C = Word letter codes
4 = D = Closest meaning
5 = E = Hidden word
6 = F = Missing word
7 = G = Letters for numbers
8 = J = Move a letter
9 = L = Letter series
10 = M = Word connections
11 = P = Number series
12 = Q = Compound words
13 = R = Make a word
14 = U = Letter connections
15 = Z = Reading information
16 = H = Opposite meaning
17 = I = Complete the sum
18 = K = Related numbers
19 = N = Word-number codes
20 = O = Complete the word
21 = S = Same meaning
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

Yes thats the list. The 15 types in 1-15 in that list. However some people have said there seem to have been some of the other 6 types (nomally refered to as HIKNOS). No one can fully confirm this but I think its a good idea to just cover them. We didnt really do them in detail but just making sure they know what to do if they do come up.

I highly recommend this book if you're starting out and arent sure what those types are http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/books/ ... php%23bs85

For papers these are the ones from the Test Publisher (they will have a diff cover if you bought them a while ago but contents are exactly the same) These cover the 15 types http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/books/ ... D30%23b397

You can also use the New Letts which cover the 21 types

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/books/ ... D17%23b425

These Bright Sparks also cover the 21 types
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/books/ ... 3D7%23b120
Impossible is Nothing.
anowicka

Post by anowicka »

Sherry_d Thank you so much for the reply.

Anna