Sevenoaks school

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Chelmsford mum

Sevenoaks school

Post by Chelmsford mum »

Hello,
All that I really know about independent schools could probably fit on a postage stamp.So....could you please give me some feedback/opinion preferably based on experience first or second hand.
I am asking for a friend who is considering the school for their child.

Thank you in advance. :D
PB Mum

Re: Sevenoaks school

Post by PB Mum »

I think I've sent you a pm...but it's still sitting in my outbox....
mystery

Post by mystery »

It's in Sevenoaks. There are a lot of coffeeshops in Sevenoaks where you have to go with your sunglasses perched in the right position on your head, in the middle of quite a dark day, looking like you spent too much time under the sunlamp. I don't know if these are Sevenoaks School mothers or not, or people on their way home from the airport who have lost their luggage.

They do the IB.

It looks very nice from the outside. Decades ago it wasn't considered particularly academic but it seems to get good results now, maybe because it has a fair number of international students.

The person who is waiting for Godot will tell you the real info I am sure.

As you can tell I haven't a clue. Sorry to be so helpful.
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

Erm....... thanks Mystery. :lol: :lol: :lol: A* for effort :D

Sevenoaks town sounds a bit too glam for me!
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

CM

I agree that Sevenoaks is an excellent school but for the right sort of child.

If you remember a while back I had it as my first choice school. I spoke to some mums and current pupils and they all said how fantastic the school is and I do agree with them.

Sevenoaks is a liberal school so its not quite like typical public schools. They encourage students to be independent for example if they forget their book bag, no teacher will ask or nag them. It does have a grown up feel to it and its quite modern compared to all the other schools I visited and this goes with ethos of the school.

Sadly we discounted it because it wasnt right for my DD. She needs support and a bit more hand holding as she has confidence issues. I think it suits clever children who are/can can be easily self motivated. The IB is also a very good and a rigorous course but very demanding too and until the Universities start acknowledging IB isnt dumped down like A levels and demand lesser points, my DD will perhaps be better in a school that does A levels which are easier.

Our tour guide was a boy who had started at Judd (the superselective of Kent) and moved in Year 9 as he hated Judd. He was thrieving and enjoying his school. Another girl had also moved from Togs (another superselective) to Sevenoaks and she was on course to studying medicine. There were a number of boys who has actually moved from Judd to Sevenoaks and this tells you that the kids are quite clever. So if your friend has a child who is motivated, I am sure he/she will thrieve there.

Its harder to get in compared to all the other Kent indies (but maybe less compared to some London indies) and the child should probably be at a level where they can get into top Grammars. At 11+ its around 1: 3 competition but it really hots up in 6th Form where its more like 1:6 and there is intense competition too from some smart International students.
Impossible is Nothing.
moved

Post by moved »

We looked at this for DD when DS was considering Tonbridge as they are geographically close. I liked the school and felt it would have suited DD. Scholarships are very hard won and the children in the local preps are well prepared so competition is stiff.

As stated above it has a very international feel and is very strong academically. Beautiful grounds.

There is no A level option in VIth form.

A great many children leave UK afterwards and head abroad for university. I didn't like this idea (as I want to keep my DD all for me and not the international world and a very long distance relationship). A good number of children head to Oxbridge.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Well I got some bits right - the beauty of the place, the IB, and the international students. You don't have to be a genius to get in - know someone who is just leaving Sevenoaks School who did not make the grade to Judd at 11 from an indie, and got in at 13+ from an indie.

I give myself E for effort, and not a lot else on my Sevenoaks School knowledge. I don't want to know anything more about it as I don't want to be tempted. Where is waiting for Godot?

There are a lot of independent schools within the vicinity of Sevenoaks, but my impressions are that this one is more rigorously academic and more selective than most.
Just1-2go

Post by Just1-2go »

DD says that they have amazing sports facilities, but that they are wasted because they aren't very good at sports!! :)
SSM

Post by SSM »

Locally it is meant to have a reputation of being very academic and difficult to get into. However, I know of a number of children, from wealthy families, that either did not get a high enough mark for Judd or Skinners', or even failed the 11+ altogether, that gained places at 11 entry.

I feel that it accepts bright children, and children which are not necessarily bright but come from the right kind of family.

They certainly have very good results, but the kids do work very hard. They have lots of homework and Saturday school, they do though have long holidays.
doodles

Post by doodles »

mystery wrote:It's in Sevenoaks. There are a lot of coffeeshops in Sevenoaks where you have to go with your sunglasses perched in the right position on your head, in the middle of quite a dark day, looking like you spent too much time under the sunlamp.
Not sure this is true of all of us!!!!!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now