Children allowed at open evenings?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
natural

Children allowed at open evenings?

Post by natural »

This may be a silly question, but I wondered if children were allowed to attend open evenings with their parents? I'm hoping to attend Langley's open evening this week - can I carry my ds with me?
sherry_d

Re: Children allowed at open evenings?

Post by sherry_d »

Schools dont say no babies but here is my take.

I have a toddler and went to the first school I visited with him. It was an absolute nightmare and I would not advise unless you really dont have any other option. Some of the places are ancient and arent pushchair friendly. Its so annoying struggling with buggy and trying to keep up with what the tour guide is saying. Kids at this school were so lovely helping out with pushchair but that was my first and last. Come headteacher's talk time - it was the worst, DH had to stay outside in the end. I never went with my baby again on any other tours. I have seen other parents with young children suffer the same fate, it seems the time they want to cry is when Headteachers give talks. :roll

Just to add, what was even more annoying was the shock horror disparaging looks from parents in the room at every slight whim from my baby. It was as if their chidren were never babies. My logic was to all go and see the school as a family to all get that feel, how wrong was I. :shock:
Impossible is Nothing.
drummer

Post by drummer »

ditto - there is no rule against BUT...

If your child is quiet and well-behaved then fine. My eldest DD was the quietest wee thing ever and could be taken anywhere. My youngest? Well, all I can say is I have had to throw myself out of more places than I could possibly count, including several Head Teacher talks (6 ENTIRE rows in the hall turned to look at who was blowing raspberries!!!!)

They tend to be VERY busy evenings, standing room only for talks and a real rush and crush to get around the school. I wouldn't do it again with my littlest (had had no choice as DH was away) but like I said, with DD1 it wouldn't have been any trouble at all.
doodles

Post by doodles »

Would call in as many favours as possible so that I didn't have to take little one. Only took DS2 to one open evening (and he was 7 at the time) and it was still difficult - I wanted DS1 to "lead" the evening and find out all he could about the school but it just didn't work.

The evenings we went to without little brother were so much easier and more useful. Also think that, if possible, and I appreciate it isn't always, it's best to go with just the relevant child as the evening is about where they may go to school.
atestingtime

Post by atestingtime »

Totally agree with Sherry - leave them behind if at all possible. If the Langley one is as much of a crush as the annual Tiffin scrum neither of you would enjoy it.

It like the Jan sales in Kingston when Tiffin boys Open eve is on with ques of a few 100 just to get into the school. The teachers do lots of specials in the classrooms and mad science experiments but a small one would stop you focusing on the one who needs it I feel. Do let us know how you get on.....
natural

Post by natural »

thanks everyone - I did see some small ones there tonight but very few
Just wish the weather was better
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now