Private tutorial colleges

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
tubby

Private tutorial colleges

Post by tubby »

Hello all,

My son would be sitting for his GCSE next year, am thinking of enrolling him in one of these courses for the easter period, any feedbacks, opinions, or reviews would be highly appreciated.

Thanks
tubby

Re: Private tutorial colleges

Post by tubby »

106 views, but no replies wow!!!
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

mmm tubby .... I suppose it is because it is not something that has occurred to many of us.

By the time the summer came round, much of the GCSE work (coursework / modules etc) had been done and the remaining work was down to the kids themselves then, not sure if a course at easter would have made much difference... in fact not sure if much work was actually done at easter at all :oops:

I can imagine if there are specific subjects then a course might help but not if it means that the other subjects are forgotten... and not going to help if previous modules / coursework have not been up to scratch... eg had a friend whose son would have had to get 101% in his final paper in one of the sciences to get an A*
jemima

Post by jemima »

Hi,
I sent my two eldedest to an A level and AS course respectively as DS needed an A in one subject specifically but it was his weakest one. DD just lacks confidence. Both loved the courses, found them very useful and becuase they had focussed really hard for 2/3 days on one subject found it actually gave them more time for other subjects. DS got the result he needed and DD surpassed herself. I will definitely use again if needed.
Haven't tried GCSE ones though.
tubby

Post by tubby »

Thanks for the replies, l suppose you are right in a way Hermanmunster, but i think they need all the help they can get during the easter period, not sitting in front of playstation :? , the reviews i have read said some of the chidren who attended had jump a grade from their predicted grades C-B B-A. :?:

Jemima woud you be so kind as to PM the centre you used, there is one in Oxford charging about £2600 for 3 weeks full time residential course in 6 subjects of your choice. Thanks
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

Just saw the cost of these centres - wow! Wouldn't it be cheaper and more benficial to get a tutor all year round for your child's weakest subjects? Espececially as someone said, there is alot done by coursework so the tutor can advise on these, as well as exam stuff. Just a thought! (I may reviese my opinion when my children reach that age!)
jemima

Post by jemima »

I paid nothing like that amount and the kids only went for 3 days - I'll pm you.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

just be wary of the "jump in predicted grades" - they are only predicted and often not accurate. Have known some get improved grades just by finally pulling their finger after the shock of the prediction sank in
jemima

Post by jemima »

I agree with Hermanmunster but having said that my DD got an E in her AS mock and then got 1 mark off an A in the exam. She really felt the revision 2 days helped her and has now chosen to retain maths as one of her A levels whereas she hated it before. I have got her a tutor now though so she doesn't 'flounder' again. I would definitley use the revision courses again and I looked up the price it was £99. (Well worth seeng DD smile again and a jump of 4 grades)
Although another word of warning - some schools mock exams are very hard especially as there aren't as many past papers arond for some of the newer formats.
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

I would think that 3 week residential course in the Easter holidays is way too much. One of my children went to a 3 day course for 2 subjects, it was expensive, and the jury is out on whether it was worth it. The child in question was panicking, and this seemed to set her mind at ease, so from that point of view it was worthwhile. There was also a huge jump in both subjetcs from mock exam results to actual grades at GCSE, but as Herman has said, this may also have been down to her finally realsising that effort was required. Also mock exams didn't include coursework which also brough final GCSE grades up as well.