age to sit exams ?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Yorkshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

ladyluck75

age to sit exams ?

Post by ladyluck75 »

Good Evening everybody,
Im new to this forum, and so wish i knew about it when my son ( NOW YR 8 ) was doing his 11+ Exam.
I have a 9yr old daughter who is wanting to sit the 11+ exam this yr, she knows she wont be able to go to "big school " untill shes 11, but would like to take the Exam early to see if she can do it,
Is there a age limit on sitting the exam , before 11 ?

Thanks in advance
hermanmunster

Re: age to sit exams ?

Post by hermanmunster »

rarely I think children can take the exam in year 5 and go to GS a year early - but I think this is in exceptional cases. The norm is to take the exam in the autumn term of year 6... I think even if it does get taken early (or at the proper time) then a "pass" only lasts for a limited time eg 1 year
ladyluck75

Post by ladyluck75 »

would there be any barriers in her getting in to GS early if she passed the exam, do you think ?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I think most GS are not keen to take kids early - there are plenty who could cope with the academic side early but not the emotional maturity to spend all their time with children older than them. I suppose the exception would be for children who have been in the academic year above their age for much of primary.

A relative did this from what is now year 4 (when moved to a day prep from a boarding prep) - he stayed in the higher year all through GS (was a September birthday though)

KEHS B'ham used to allow girls in year 6 and birthdays up to christmas in year 5 take the entrance exam - only knew of very few getting in... often very early september births. Not sure if they do it now
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Hello Ladyluck, and welcome to the forum, which area of Yorkshire are you looking at?
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

Hello Ladyluck,
Welcome to the forum. :D

You should contact the school to see if it is possible. I have a feeling that you will need to speak to them before sitting the exam.
Alex

Post by Alex »

You need to check carefully with the schools and the LA what their approach to early transfer and early exams is. In some areas there are quite punitive rules surrounding these. For example some may allow a child to take an early test but this may disbar them from taking the test the following year. In addition the test may be standardised as though the child was a year older than their actual age. I don't think any LA/school would be happy with a child taking an early test "just to see" - you would have to be seeking early tranfer. In my own LA early transfer into community schools is only permitted after formal assessment of the child's maturity (not their intelligence or giftedness) and is fairly strongly discouraged.