2 months to prepare- he's IN! WORDS OF INSPIRATION FOR ALL!

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
yorkshireperson

2 months to prepare- he's IN! WORDS OF INSPIRATION FOR ALL!

Post by yorkshireperson »

:lol: Wowee! Yipee! My son has made it into the Grammar of his choice and with only a little over 2 months to prepare for the exam!
We are in the catchment area of a SINK school and only last Sept discovered that there are two Grammar schools in a nearby town which accept children on merit, following an entrance exam, regardless of location. I had never heard of one of the Grammar Schools yet, following an open evening and the head teachers presentation, my son and I were totally WOWED. I told him,"You can do this" and, with a little over two months before the 11 plus, I planned and organised a crash course for him.

I spent appx. £40 on aids and materials and also designed and prepared worksheets myself. I prepared, printed and stapled together a booklet with 60 countdown days and logged the work and/or test papers and results he practiced each day. I also printed a list of maths subjects and VR question types which we had to cover.

He spent appx 1- 1 1/2 hours most evenings learning and practicing (and appx 4 hours over the weekend) and, on his free days we did something REALLY FUN. Wanting so much to get into that great school gave him inspiration, although he did get fed up sometimes.

The day before the exam, we chilled at home, watched a DVD and had a takeaway. I had some Cava too- felt that I needed it!

We both slept like logs and exam day he was ready! I told him to just do his best and, whether or not he passed, I would still love him. Oh, in case you wondered, I'm a single mum and he hasn't seen his father in years! After the exam we went out to lunch and shopping in town to buy him some goodies!

After months of waiting and wondering, the 1st Mar finally arrrived. I had decided that we would move house if he didn't pass. I drove to school to pick him up. I was sitting in the car and, in the rear view mirror, I saw a child running with arms in the air, holding a white envelope. He said that, when his teacher had told him that he had got his first choice, tears ran down his cheeks. Being a caring child he said he was sad for all the children who had not passed the exam who were upset. Me too, but, as I told him earlier, "Whatever happens, you can do whatever you want in life, if you have determination and work hard. For any children and parents who are feeling sad at not getting their choice, just read Richard Branson's book, "Screw it, let's do it"- Lessons in life. Richard Branson wasn't very bright at school; he had dyslexia, which wasn't understood in those days, but look what a success story HE turned out to be!

Best Wishes to Everyone AND MAY ALL YOUR DREAMS COME TRUE!
Jess

Post by Jess »

What a fantastic post. Well done to you both. It's great to know that there are still times when the Grammar school system serves it's original purpose-to give bright children the chance of an education suited to their needs, regardless of ability/desire to pay for tutors, loads of practice material etc. I'm absolutely delighted for both of you, and I'm sure he'll do extremely well at Grammar school
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Yorkshireperson

Well done to your son and to you - a great success story.

If you could bottle your son's determination to succeed and sell it, Richard Branson would surely be one place lower on the Rich List!

Sally-Anne
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

yorkshireperson,

Well done, congratulations and what a heart warming story. Just goes to show whatever your circumstances if you form a plan work at it then you have a good chance of success.

stevew61
Footymad

Post by Footymad »

Well done YorkshirePerson!! :)

What a great story! It's very inspirational! :o

I hope you don't mind me asking, what school will he be going to?

My eldester daughter is at SGHS. :wink:

Footymad xx.
Thea

Post by Thea »

Fantastic - well done - excellent team effort (are you a Project Manager by profession?) Was particularly impressed by our apporach to the day before, and the day of the exam - a model for all of us to follow - thanks!!
Best Regards,
Thea
yorkshireperson

Thanks for the great replies!

Hi again,

Many thanks for your replies and comments. It's great to know that there are warm, caring individuals out there who can relate to our emotions and wish us well. Yes, I'm sure the little fella will do well. I wish all your children the very best too.

He will be going to Crossley Heath in Halifax. I have read some of your previous posts, footymad, and figure that SGHS is the Skipton Girls High School. Do I pass the 11+ for that? :lol: Skipton is a lovely place to live and I really enjoyed the Lamb Henry at the Woolly Sheep! I'm in Bradford. Now I make my own curries, there's no advantage in living here!

As for being a project manager, Thea, well I guess, there could be something in that. I've been into property renovation for many years and have had to be the one to organise the show, order the materials and sort everyone out. Are you a phsychological analyst by any chance? My son is unreal in the way he plans projects, both in writing and on the computer, designs information sheets etc. and organises everyone. At the moment he is planning to raise money for Cancer Research and is organising it all very professionally. His little head is full of ideas. Aren't kids just great. They are like real people, but smaller!

Just dashing off to pick up the little fella from school, so bye for now!
:wink:
usa

Post by usa »

Yorkshireperson
That is a really lovely post - thank you for sharing it with us.
Well done to you both, and it sounds as if he will thrive at his new school!
USA
yorkshireperson

:lol: Back again!

Re the Richard Branson book I mentioned earlier. It is a really fantastic book and great for kids as well as adults. It offers inspiration for anyone who is about to take the 11+, or those who have taken it and missed the pass mark. To be honest, I'm sure it would be inspirational to anyone who reads it and for £2.99, it's a steal! Got mine from Amazon. The first chapter starts out:

Just Do It!
Believe It Can Be Done
Have Goals
Live Life to the Full
Never Give Up
Prepare Well
Have Faith in Yourself
Help Each Other

From Sarah Branson- just joking! :lol: and I don't get commission! :lol:
Honestly though, it is a good book.

Back to these Grammar Schools, in the whole scheme of things, whether our children pass or don't pass, they are still our precious little stars and life is what we make it. We are living in a world of opportunity and our children should be loved and encouraged to believe in themselves. They CAN make it whatever!

This is a great forum, isn't it?

All the very best to everyone! :lol:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now