Open Evenings

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

malvern

Open Evenings

Post by malvern »

Anyone go to the Pate's open evening?

I did, I know it's only stating the obvious but all was very impressive. Will wait to see how different DR and Ribston are - if at all.

Those of you applying in future years Mr Fenton confirmed that they will be going for Academy status but this would not alter the admission procedures.
gloucsdad

Re: Open Evenings

Post by gloucsdad »

They seem to have started earlier this year, maybe because of the early test?

Best and worst bits of the events? Confirm or challenge any preconceptions?

I only found out last minute

for me
Best: inspiring Head, focus on extra curric and pastoral care, loads of nice students helping as guides etc

Worst bits: rain, too crowded, easy to get lost

Precoonceptions challenged: Thought that it would be posher atmosphere
confirmed: staggering results (except in DT)
malvern

Post by malvern »

Best Bit - Mr Fenton explaining if a child passes the test they will be able to cope with Pates, they will be looked after and not left behind when all the clever kids march on and your kid who got there by some complete fluke (I would take that like a shot) flounders.

Worst bit - seeing the amount of cars (back field was packed - cars as far as you could see) feeling there is so much competition making chance of going to the school vanishingly small.
muminTewkes

Post by muminTewkes »

The husband is taking ds tonight...we (dh and I)have already seen Pates and STRS but ds will see them for the first time as well as Crypt next week.
Interesting to hear your thoughts,we will see what he makes of it.....Im sure he will be blown away but sort of dont want him to be iyswim?! :? with the competition as it is-but then someone,well 120 someones!have to get in!
We asked ds's tutor(who hes had after i DIY'd for the past 10 wks)which school.assuming we have a choice(!)he thought would suit ds...his reply was a VERY vehement Tommys..stating Pates was full of "geeks!"...have to say I was surprised and concerned as to why he had a distinct dislike of Pates :shock: dont get me wrong we ADORED STRS and thought it would suit our rugby playing,bright-but-normal ds down to the ground.
Why the downer/geeky/posh stereotype of the mighty Pates?is it REALLY like this?its ALL i seem to hear atm....not suited to us at all(assuming he whizzes the test obviously... :wink: or its a moot point!)
Milla

Post by Milla »

I think you get a lot of Pates-bashing at this time of year - maybe it's a protection thing against it being the hardest to get into: get the defences in early.
If I'm being brutally honest, the class in my son in Tommy's looks much geekier than those in the class of my son in Pate's. Had been anticipating a geek overload going by Tommy's experience but not - perfectly "normal" though lots of girls towering over tiny boys as so often. Thereagain, DS1 says his class is the geeky class - he likes that, better than the chavs/weirdoes/whatever else unpleasant epithet they roundly apply to the other ones. :roll:
Amber

Post by Amber »

Milla wrote:I think you get a lot of Pates-bashing at this time of year - maybe it's a protection thing against it being the hardest to get into: get the defences in early.
A fair point I am sure; though it is possible not to like it, just as it is possible not to like other schools, if you feel your child would not be happy there. I get the impression that one is assumed to be on the defensive if one expresses a negative view of Pate's in a way which doesn't apply to any other educational establishment in the area. All that really matters is what you, as a parent, and your DC, as a prospective pupil, think of a place - no-one else's view is worth anything really. One man's meat, and all that. Take no notice, I say, and judge for yourself.
muminTewkes

Post by muminTewkes »

Thanks..i actually can see both sides of the "Pates bashing!"
Im just finding it hard as,in reality,aside from the "feel"of the place-blown away at Pates and happily and comfortably wowed at STRS,I just have no clue as to what its REALLY like.
I know one friends dd at Pates(in yr 8 now)who isnt impressed still...doesnt feel she fits in etc although academically isnt struggling.I know no one else at any grammar-aside from the show Pates put on and seeing Tommys in the flesh(just went on the off chance and were shown around by 2 sixth formers)we have no real knowledge of the schools.Their academic record is the easy bit!
I feel alot of anti Pates COULD be sour grapes tbh by the few conversations ive had "better he will be top of the local comp than bottom at Pates"...eh?..and all the other lines that get trotted out.. :roll:Im sure you all know where I'm coming from!
Ah well,time will tell...
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

I know one friends dd at Pates(in yr 8 now)who isnt impressed still...doesnt feel she fits in etc
The problem is this could be the case even of she was at a different school. It is a difficult decision.

When we were choosing we only visited the two Glos boy's Grammars as they were closest. I was happy with both but for different reasons. DS2 was quite sure of which he preferred and DS1 also preferred the same school although would have happily gone anywhere, including the local comprehensive which is on a slide in the wrong direction currently so certainly not an option.

I just waited for the test results and went from there. Ultimately none will be perfect no matter what people say ditto none of them will be dire or they wouldn't be over-subscribed. I can only assume after the effort to get in and all the hype Pates is genuinely stuck in the situation of having a lot to live up too as well as the usual sour grapes.
muminTewkes

Post by muminTewkes »

Tolstoy-just waiting for test results was/is my plan!easy to get carried away in a flap at this time of year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) eeek...i just want it DONE now tbh..
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

I am so glad to have this year off as I know that feeling well :) . Oh the joys of parental choice :roll:.